myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

National Diversity MBA Summit - the inaugural year

The National Diversity MBA summit is over. As I get back into the regular work routine, I ask myself - what did we accomplish? How will next year's summit be different? What impact did we make?

The summit has made a huge impact - especially on behalf of prospective students. Quite simply, it was a groundbreaking event. Several candidates confided with me that without an opportunity like this they simply wouldn't know were or how to start exploring MBA programs. Further, candidates who attended were able to build personal relationships with staff from almost thirty MBA programs through one-to one networking, panels, and conference sessions. Candidates left knowing recruiters on a first name basis.

I'm very proud that the Carlson School partnered with the Stratus Foundation to be the inaugural founders of this annual summit. I'm confident it will grow to be a national must-attend event for both prospective students and top ranked business schools. I look forward to seeing the positive impact it makes on the school's ability to recruit and retain diverse talent to the Twin Cities.

In writing this post, I must acknowledge that I'm not as eloquent as Delece Smith-Barrow, who wrote about our event for U.S. News and World Report or Shawn O'Connor in his interview with MPR (Minnesota Public Radio). Regardless, I'm happy that several media channels also recognized the significance of this event.

All of this said, I want to end by saying we very much look forward to hosting the summit a second time summer of 2014. After the 2014 event, we'll be looking for other schools to host and continue this meaningful dialogue.