myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

Admissions Archives

This is officially my first blog and I am super excited. For many years I have been wanting to pursue a full time MBA. I have had some very pointed recommendations from well-wishers suggesting that the FT MBA experience is unbeatable from the classroom experience, cohort experience and job search help. My economic situation was not allowing it and it didn't appear that it will change any time soon. So I decided to write the GMAT and take it from there. The results came and it placed me firmly in the upper quartile for the PT MBA class and the lower quartile for the FT MBA. There the decision was made!

From the very first day I set foot as a student in the Carlson campus, I have had no reason to look back. The energy that I saw among the peer students, alumni and professors was all I could have hoped for. My first management class, Strategic Management, was an eye-opener. The team work that went into that class was something I had never experienced before. The bond that I developed with my team mates has led to subsequent classes together and volunteer activities together by way of Leadership Advisory Board (LAB) and Student Ambassador group. I have had the opportunity to work on a team to run recruiting projects for LAB increasing the membership from 5 to 25 and to start and lead a student ambassador expansion and enrichment project. I have been asked to join various clubs, start new ones and even help organize a brainstorming session to improve the value proposition of the Carlson PT MBA! How cool is that?

Classes are great. You learn a lot. But the activities beyond the classroom through various team projects and being involved in various campus organizations is what makes the PT MBA experience at Carlson a truly memorable one. When these give you access to leaders at the Carlson School and leaders in the local industry, you know that the value you get is unmatched.

So my advice to current and prospective MBAs is - Get involved! And have a much more rewarding experience! I wish you all my kind of success.

Yes, you heard it right. We do have a Prom night and in fact I am writing this post just after coming back from this biggest dance party of the season at Carlson. It is also time to reflect on my first year at the program. The things I could have done better which I would like the incoming MBAs to consider.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Admissions
And the Journey begins..

...fruits of all the thinking that went into the MBA application process (not to mention the customized crafted essay stories packaging me into a one hell of a product - which even I did not know before this) , I managed to start my elusive MBA journey at the University of Minnesota, Carlson School. Why Minnesota: If anyone is thinking what was I thinking while choosing to study in the snow, then I have only one answer that unfortunately the U never stops working and classes never stops despite the thunderstorm... :-) The rigor of the program stops me from thinking when it ends after two years because I am loving it!

Continue reading...

Final Exam

There's no need to even be worried; I studied for hours with classmates this weekend, I've been keeping up in class, and taking notes on all of the lectures.

"Ha! Who am I kidding?!" A quick cram session is as obligatory an exercise before any test as the Hot Pockets jingle is an expectation of a Jim Gaffigan set.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: MBA Student Experience Student Life

The summit has made a huge impact - especially on behalf of prospective students. Quite simply, it was a groundbreaking event.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Admissions Diversity staff Student Experience
Learning from the true

An article last February highlights what I view to be one of the most valuable initiatives Carlson can provide to it's MBA students, encouraging veterans to enter the MBA program.

Continue reading...

Thoughts of a Recent MBA Graduate

I recently graduated from Carlson's Part-Time MBA Program this past May, and the Carlson experience was more than I could have ever imagined!

Continue reading...

| 3 Comments | tags: admissions Part-Time MBA
Accomplishments and Community

I started b-school at 31 years old, and in my 10 years of "real life experience" I have been an actor, an event coordinator, a lawyer, a producer and now, a consultant. Not to mention a student, in both law and business. While each aspect had its moment, the last year has been the "most". The most stressful. The most exciting. The most fulfilling. The most fun.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Consulting Enterprise Full-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life
Lisa Richardson, My Background

I chose Carlson because it was the only MBA program in the Twin Cities I had heard of when I researched schools while living in Boston. The brand and quality associated with Carlson were the main decision factors for me in selecting a school.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Part-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life