myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

Part-Time MBA Archives

This is officially my first blog and I am super excited. For many years I have been wanting to pursue a full time MBA. I have had some very pointed recommendations from well-wishers suggesting that the FT MBA experience is unbeatable from the classroom experience, cohort experience and job search help. My economic situation was not allowing it and it didn't appear that it will change any time soon. So I decided to write the GMAT and take it from there. The results came and it placed me firmly in the upper quartile for the PT MBA class and the lower quartile for the FT MBA. There the decision was made!

From the very first day I set foot as a student in the Carlson campus, I have had no reason to look back. The energy that I saw among the peer students, alumni and professors was all I could have hoped for. My first management class, Strategic Management, was an eye-opener. The team work that went into that class was something I had never experienced before. The bond that I developed with my team mates has led to subsequent classes together and volunteer activities together by way of Leadership Advisory Board (LAB) and Student Ambassador group. I have had the opportunity to work on a team to run recruiting projects for LAB increasing the membership from 5 to 25 and to start and lead a student ambassador expansion and enrichment project. I have been asked to join various clubs, start new ones and even help organize a brainstorming session to improve the value proposition of the Carlson PT MBA! How cool is that?

Classes are great. You learn a lot. But the activities beyond the classroom through various team projects and being involved in various campus organizations is what makes the PT MBA experience at Carlson a truly memorable one. When these give you access to leaders at the Carlson School and leaders in the local industry, you know that the value you get is unmatched.

So my advice to current and prospective MBAs is - Get involved! And have a much more rewarding experience! I wish you all my kind of success.

The Carlson Charity Auction
Benefiting the annual Carlson Charity Auction is one of Carlson's best traditions. Hosted by Carlson 4 Community (C4C), a student organization, and various corporate partners, the auction is a classy and fun way for the Carlson community to give back. And with an assortment of exotic items to bid on and a solid bar/food scene for this year's auction, I had an absolute blast.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Alumni Carlson Full-time Part-time MBA Student Experience Student Life
Final Exam

There's no need to even be worried; I studied for hours with classmates this weekend, I've been keeping up in class, and taking notes on all of the lectures.

"Ha! Who am I kidding?!" A quick cram session is as obligatory an exercise before any test as the Hot Pockets jingle is an expectation of a Jim Gaffigan set.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: MBA Student Experience Student Life

The summit has made a huge impact - especially on behalf of prospective students. Quite simply, it was a groundbreaking event.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Admissions Diversity staff Student Experience
Learning from the true

An article last February highlights what I view to be one of the most valuable initiatives Carlson can provide to it's MBA students, encouraging veterans to enter the MBA program.

Continue reading...

Thoughts of a Recent MBA Graduate

I recently graduated from Carlson's Part-Time MBA Program this past May, and the Carlson experience was more than I could have ever imagined!

Continue reading...

| 3 Comments | tags: admissions Part-Time MBA
Lisa Richardson, My Background

I chose Carlson because it was the only MBA program in the Twin Cities I had heard of when I researched schools while living in Boston. The brand and quality associated with Carlson were the main decision factors for me in selecting a school.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Part-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life

This program offered a global experience that was far more educational and authentic than any I could have had on my own. The Carlson students on the program spoke intimately with Chinese business executives about their work and the Chinese consumer market, they were invited to meals at local restaurants, karaoke, and even an end-of-year social exclusive to MBA students at Tsinghua University and their friends.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: international study MBA Student Experience Student Life study abroad
The MBA: A new perspective on my job

My name is Joe Heinert, '12 MBA. Once I made the decision to get my MBA, The Carlson School was my choice because it offered a flexible part-time program, a personalized program that allowed me to choose my own courses, and world-class professors that would maximize my experience. It was also easy because my wife, Rosie Heinert ('11 MBA), was also in the program.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Alumni Part-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life