myU OneStop

MBA Admissions

Share This

Share

Monthly Archives

Twin Cities Archives

This is officially my first blog and I am super excited. For many years I have been wanting to pursue a full time MBA. I have had some very pointed recommendations from well-wishers suggesting that the FT MBA experience is unbeatable from the classroom experience, cohort experience and job search help. My economic situation was not allowing it and it didn't appear that it will change any time soon. So I decided to write the GMAT and take it from there. The results came and it placed me firmly in the upper quartile for the PT MBA class and the lower quartile for the FT MBA. There the decision was made!

From the very first day I set foot as a student in the Carlson campus, I have had no reason to look back. The energy that I saw among the peer students, alumni and professors was all I could have hoped for. My first management class, Strategic Management, was an eye-opener. The team work that went into that class was something I had never experienced before. The bond that I developed with my team mates has led to subsequent classes together and volunteer activities together by way of Leadership Advisory Board (LAB) and Student Ambassador group. I have had the opportunity to work on a team to run recruiting projects for LAB increasing the membership from 5 to 25 and to start and lead a student ambassador expansion and enrichment project. I have been asked to join various clubs, start new ones and even help organize a brainstorming session to improve the value proposition of the Carlson PT MBA! How cool is that?

Classes are great. You learn a lot. But the activities beyond the classroom through various team projects and being involved in various campus organizations is what makes the PT MBA experience at Carlson a truly memorable one. When these give you access to leaders at the Carlson School and leaders in the local industry, you know that the value you get is unmatched.

So my advice to current and prospective MBAs is - Get involved! And have a much more rewarding experience! I wish you all my kind of success.

Final Exam

There's no need to even be worried; I studied for hours with classmates this weekend, I've been keeping up in class, and taking notes on all of the lectures.

"Ha! Who am I kidding?!" A quick cram session is as obligatory an exercise before any test as the Hot Pockets jingle is an expectation of a Jim Gaffigan set.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: MBA Student Experience Student Life

The summit has made a huge impact - especially on behalf of prospective students. Quite simply, it was a groundbreaking event.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Admissions Diversity staff Student Experience
Learning from the true

An article last February highlights what I view to be one of the most valuable initiatives Carlson can provide to it's MBA students, encouraging veterans to enter the MBA program.

Continue reading...

After taking time to reflect on my summer and internship experiences to date, I noticed that as my list of personal and professional contacts continues to grow, I am struggling to manage this ever expanding social network.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: MBA Minnesota Student Experience Student Life Twin Cities
The MBA: A new perspective on my job

My name is Joe Heinert, '12 MBA. Once I made the decision to get my MBA, The Carlson School was my choice because it offered a flexible part-time program, a personalized program that allowed me to choose my own courses, and world-class professors that would maximize my experience. It was also easy because my wife, Rosie Heinert ('11 MBA), was also in the program.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Alumni Part-Time MBA Student Experience Student Life

I once heard a joke: "There are four seasons in Minnesota: almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction." Funny, and sometimes it feels true (especially in the dead of January), but in reality, one of our best assets might be summer. So much to do, so much to see, and plenty of time to fit it all in. Thinking about coming to visit? Now might be a good time to drop by!

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: dual degree Full-Time MBA MBA Admissions Student Experience Twin Cities
Welcome to the West Bank

Whenever I give a tour of Carlson to a prospective student, I like to start with a "fun fact"; my favorite fun fact is a rumor I heard on my own tour last year: Carlson, a very uniquely-shaped building, was designed to look a bit like a boat, because Mr. Carlson himself was a big fan of sea-faring activities (which makes his residency in the land-locked Minnesota a bit of a conundrum), nonetheless, the building was built in the late nineties with the tip of its bow pointed to the heart of downtown.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Student Experience Student Life Twin Cities

If you've been admitted to Carlson's Class of 2015, then congratulations to you! As you prepare to leave your workplaces in the next few months, here are a few pieces of advice from my own experience.

Continue reading...

| No Comments | tags: Carlson Full-time Life at Carlson MBA MBA Admissions Student Experience

I find the varying backgrounds of the students very interesting. There are stay-at-home moms and dads, teachers, veterans, engineers, people from fortune 500s, people from companies with 3 employees, business owners, etc. The list goes on. The reasons people are in the course, also, vary quite a bit from not knowing what they will use the degree for to career advancement to everything in between.

Continue reading...