Good bye China

Leaving China for the US. Great trip. Looking forward to being home in 15 hrs.

Last day in China--a great trip

Today is our last day in China. This trip went so fast, and we saw and did so much. This really is the way to experience China. Our guide, Lui Li, made this trip so easy. She did an excellent job making this the best experience possible from selecting activities to ordering us the best food. If you are coming to China for the first time, I'd highly recommend hiring a local guide. We've also had local guides in each city we visited. Kathy Chen, our Beijing guide, really know everything about this city. Each local guide has a college degree in history and the languages they speak. All in all, a great experience.

Driving out to the Great Wall now. It is a perfect day for hiking--25 C and sunny. Below is some history of the wall from Kathy.

--

The Great Wall was built in 7th century BC. Built different sections, and in 221 BC, a kingdom defeated the others and unified China. At this point, all the sections were linked up. Additional construction during Quin dynasty. Ming dynasty was the last dynasty to rebuild the wall. Most of what we see is from Ming dynasty (600 yrs ago). Workers were forced to build the wall. Service usually lasted 1 month to 1 year until individual laborer died. Workers who dies were buried near mountain areas. Wall made of stone, bricks, and mixtures of. Wall also has arms towers and beacon towers that communicated signals via torches and gunshots. There will additional beacon towers on the way to Forbidden City to convey messages to the Emperors.

Invaders wanted to enter China because it was a rich country in ancient times. Over 600 km are open to the public today. The section we are climbing

Job opportunity?

We had interesting lectures today from the International Network of Bamboo and Rantan. I may have found a potential job opportunity: INBAR needs to increase their government relations activities in Washington DC to achieve their goals.

Lecture at Tsinghau University

Attended a great lecture today at Tsinghua University (TU). TU is the best university in all of China--comparable to Harvard in the US. The professor who spoke to us is the dad of one of my good friends at CSOM. I didn't know this until today--small world! Prof. Yang's lecture was insightful. A key take away for me is the need for a better understanding in the US of why China has a Communist government. Prof. Yang provided strong rationale for the need for a Communist government, namely to prevent social unrest that plagued China previously and stunted its growth. The US does not have to support the Chinese political system, but it does need to understand why China support its political system. Prof. Yang also expressed the need for the US to move past the unilateralism it practices for the past 8 years. All in all, a great lecture.

In Beijing

Just arrived in Beijing from the overnight train. Good night sleep on the train. Met by our local guide, Kathy. Looking forward to learning the history of Beijing from the capitol city. Beijing is the cultural center of China, whereas Shanghai was the financial center.

Train to Beijing

We left Moganshan this afternoon for Beijing. We are riding an overnight train. We are in 4 bunk sleeper cars, and its the softest bed I've had all trip. Sitting here now with Kevin, Aaron, Paige, Mal, Laura, and Roxy looking out the window and discussing our favorite trip aspects so far. My favorite trip aspect: trying new foods!! Best food: Chinese style jap chae (bean-based noodles with beef and cabbage). 2nd favorite: cucumber soup.

Had great time in Shanghai and Moganshan. Looking forward to Beijing. Can't wait to see the northern culture and learn the history of China. Had some awesome food in Shanghai. Looking forward to a good hot pot and Peiking duck in Beijing.

Got to get back to the group. More later from Beijing.

Zaijian! (Good bye!)

Suzhou Industrial Park

Ruth (my thesis advisor), I hope you are reading this blog. We visited Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), and I saw the Chinese government implementing many of my 5 themes for biotech economic development. SIP has established biopharmaceuticals as a focus area. SIP has its own education town with 5 universities designed specifically to train employees as needed by the companies in SIP. The companies contribute directly to the curriculums. The administrator I spoke with told me that SIP was having its own knowledge transfer issues getting new research from the universities to commercialization. SIP and the Chinese government are providing numerous different financial incentives aimed at closing the transfer gap. SIP has grown so large that it has developed into its own city of millions of citizens. This was a very enlightening visit. The Chinese are working very aggressively to attract FDI. Based on this, it is clear that China is on a path to pass the US as the largest economy in the world.

19 May--Shanghai

Jade Bhudda Temple:
Temple had several different statues and monuments for worshipers to pray to. The courtyard in between buildings was filled with inscents smoke. There was a constant flow of worshipers who came to pray. Also stopped at the temple's tea garden and tasted several different teas. The hostess explained the benefits of each as part of Western medicine.

Fabric Market:
Stopped at 3 story building filled with hundreds of small vendors who owned their own tailor businesses. After finding a shop you like, you pick out fabric from hundreds of patterns. The tailor measures you and asks your preferences for cuffs and collar design. I ordered customed tailored dress shirts and a pair of pants. They were made to my exact measurement and delivered to the hotel in 24 hrs. Would highly recommend the fabric market to anyone who visits. Find a tailor who speaks good English because they do exist. My shirts and pants fit better than ones I've bought in the US. A nice dress shirt in the US costs about $55; I got mine customed tailored here for $15.

Shanghainese dinner:
We had a large, family-style dinner our second night in Shanghai. All great food. The best was bamboo in vinegar and the steamed fish in soy and vinegar. Chinese custom is to not flip the whole fish over on the plate--it will bring bad luck to the fisherman. Instead, you have to eat the side that is facing up, then remove the bones and finish the remaining side.

Went out at night by taxi to a bar/club called Zapatos. It was the hang out for airline crews on layover in Shanghai. We took 4 cabs, and the drivers thought it would be fun to race each other. It was a wild cab ride.

Food Day 1

Food:
Breakfast at the hotel: traditional Chinese breakfast, dumplings, noodles, seafoods, poached eggs, sweet pastries. Breakfast with chop sticks.

Lunch:
Lunch at a cafeteria style Chinese food court. Picked out each dish that you want and bring it up to the cash register. Fried dumplings with beef and celery, asparagus shoots in a vinegar and soy sauce, and steamed spring rolls. Lunch with chop sticks.

Dinner:
Dinner at family-style Shanghai restaurant. Too many dishes to count. Highlights: shredded tofu, lima beans, egg drop soup, beef dumplings, steamed fish in vinegar and soy sauce, beef and celery, kung pow chicken. Dinner with chop sticks. Too much to eat!

Just landed in China

Our plane just landed in China. It was a long flight, but not unbearable. I was able to get a lot of reading done to pass the time. In both Japan and China, officials from the health department board to plane with temperature scanners to check form H1N1. The Chinese health officials are wearing full biohazard protective gear, covered head to toe. The flight attendents are telling us we are not allowed to take photos of the health officials, but I managed to get one before they made the announcement. From here, we get on a bus and drive to the hotel.

Good to be here. More later ...

Just Arrived in China

Our plane just landed in China. It was a long flight, but not unbearable. I was able to get a lot of reading done to pass the time. In both Japan and China, officials from the health department board to plane with temperature scanners to check form H1N1. The Chinese health officials are wearing full biohazard protective gear, covered head to toe.

From here, we get on a bus and drive to the hotel.

Glad to be here. More later ...

BlackBerry test

Test entering text on BlackBerry.

MGMT 3010 China Schedule

MGMT 3010 China Schedule

Follow along as we move across China . . .

Download file

MGMT 3010 Course Reflection

The 7 weeks of the MGMT 3010 here in the US flew by. Below is my reflection about what I've learned so far in this course.

Excerpt: Kai, Chris, and Ben emphasized the importance of excitement among the founding team. There is excitement among my micro-venture teammates, and we all worked well together. I’ve made good friends in seven weeks, and I am excited to travel to China with them. I’m looking forward to experiencing the “T.I.C.” (This Is China) moments that Kai mentioned.

Continue reading "MGMT 3010 Course Reflection" »

China Countdown . . . 16 days!

16 DAYS UNTIL WE LEAVE FOR CHINA!

Nihao! (Hello!) Thanks for following my blog! I hope to keep it updated frequently with pictures while we are in China. I'm getting excited to go. I started working on some basic Mandarin this weekend; my goal is to know 20 phrases before I leave. We have nearly 15 hours of travel by plane, so I will have plenty of time to learn more in the air. I'm looking for a few good books about Chinese culture, business in China, or Chinese politics. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment below! Thanks again for following my blog . . . xie xie! (Thank you!) Zaijian! (Goodbye!)