Suzhou Industrial Park

Ruth (my thesis advisor), I hope you are reading this blog. We visited Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), and I saw the Chinese government implementing many of my 5 themes for biotech economic development. SIP has established biopharmaceuticals as a focus area. SIP has its own education town with 5 universities designed specifically to train employees as needed by the companies in SIP. The companies contribute directly to the curriculums. The administrator I spoke with told me that SIP was having its own knowledge transfer issues getting new research from the universities to commercialization. SIP and the Chinese government are providing numerous different financial incentives aimed at closing the transfer gap. SIP has grown so large that it has developed into its own city of millions of citizens. This was a very enlightening visit. The Chinese are working very aggressively to attract FDI. Based on this, it is clear that China is on a path to pass the US as the largest economy in the world.

Food Day 1

Food:
Breakfast at the hotel: traditional Chinese breakfast, dumplings, noodles, seafoods, poached eggs, sweet pastries. Breakfast with chop sticks.

Lunch:
Lunch at a cafeteria style Chinese food court. Picked out each dish that you want and bring it up to the cash register. Fried dumplings with beef and celery, asparagus shoots in a vinegar and soy sauce, and steamed spring rolls. Lunch with chop sticks.

Dinner:
Dinner at family-style Shanghai restaurant. Too many dishes to count. Highlights: shredded tofu, lima beans, egg drop soup, beef dumplings, steamed fish in vinegar and soy sauce, beef and celery, kung pow chicken. Dinner with chop sticks. Too much to eat!