« The Great Wall of China | Main | Pictures from Sunday »

Back in Shanghai

Monday, June 1, 2009
Today was a pretty mellow day. In the morning we had some group collaboration work and then the Mayor of a town about 120 km west of Shanghai came to speak with us. The town is Liyang. It is an industrial town with about 800,000 people (that is about the size of Minneapolis and St. Paul combined). The interesting thing was he did not speak English so he had an interpreter for his presentation. You certainly realize the importance of speaking the same language.

After our morning meetings, it was time to get to work on our group project. We spent the afternoon putting the presentation together and then went out to West Nanjing Road to do some more surveys. Toward the end of our time, the Mall Security Guards were beginning to follow us to see what we are doing. We did not want to get in any trouble so we left for the night.

As I sit in my hotel room getting you all up to date on my trip - the home-sickness is starting to settle in. I have now been away from Ami, Maddie and Jack for 10 days now and I can’t wait to see them. Due to the time difference and schedules, I have not spoken to Jack for 2-3 days. I was able to Skype with Maddie on Sunday morning which helped. It also does not help that much of this week is to be spent on our projects so there is a lot of free time. It would be best if I was busy to make the time go faster.

The good news is I will be home in less than 5 days and can’t wait to see everybody.