State Politics > Minnesota
- Minneapolis Index Crime Rate Falls 18 Percent from April 2008
- Minnesota, Western States Lead Nation in Male Population; Vote for GOP Governors
- How Do We Judge Governor Pawlenty's Political Legacy?
- Does Marty Seifert Represent a 'Swing District?'
- From T-Paw to J-Ram: Is Jim Ramstad the GOP's Answer in 2010?
- Minnesota and Upper Midwest Being Spared the Worst of US Job Loss Crisis
- Is Conservatism on the Rise in Minnesota and the Upper Midwest?
- Pro-Life Stance on the Rise in Minnesota, Upper Midwest
- Minnesota Unemployment Rate Drops for First Time Since May '08
- The 'W' Word: Seifert Says DFL Ran the Legislature Like Democrats in Washington
- Minnesota Legislature on Pace for Most Days in Session by Decade
- Republicans in Competitive Districts Opposed Pogemiller Redistricting Bill; Safe GOPers Supported Reform
- Pogemiller Delivers on Redistricting Reform; SF 182 Passes Senate Floor Vote
- A Historical Snapshot of Minnesota's Legislative Special Sessions
- Should Minnesota's Corrections Budget Be Increased?
- Governor Pawlenty: Good for Minnesota Twins Baseball?
- Jesse Ventura Lobbies for Ambassador Post to Cuba
- Pawlenty Delivers on Veto Pledge; Override Season Opens
- Will Minnesotans Support the Firearms Freedom Act?
- Bachmann on the State of the GOP: "Republicans are for all practical purposes irrelevant"
- The Secret to Klobuchar's Popularity: Enduring Republican Support
- Pawlenty Disapproval Rating Rises For 5th Straight Month in SurveyUSA Polling
- Why Governor Pawlenty Is Not in the 'Danger Zone'
- Obama Approval Rating Holding Steady in MN and Blue States, Still Dropping in Red States
- 'Darfur 5' in Little Jeopardy of Losing Congressional Seats
- Minnesota's 'McCain 14' Split on House Tax Increase
- Keith Ellison Campaign Funding Data Revisited: A Response to the Congressman's Complaint
- Iowa Least Affected by Unemployment Increases in the Upper Midwest
- Who Does Keith Ellison Represent? (And Why Aren't Minnesotans Funding His Campaigns?)
- Pawlenty's Political Future: When Will We Know?
- Why the Bachmann 'Revolution' Is a Grassroots Phenomenon
- Bachmann's Media Blitz Increasing Statewide, Not National, Fundraising
- Wisconsin Unemployment Rate Eclipses Minnesota for First Time Since Summer 2007
- Minnesota Unemployment Rate Slows to Smallest Increase Since September
- Political Luminaries Rally in Support of Ranked Choice Voting at FairVote Minnesota Fundraiser
- Minnesota 2nd Most Competitive State for U.S. Senate Elections Since 1990
- The Picture of Mental Health: Minnesota's Unusually Low Suicide Rate
- Minneapolis Crime Rates Continue to Fall as Unemployment Rises
- Upper Midwestern States Bearing the Brunt of Rising Unemployment
- Amy Klobuchar: Steady as She Goes
- Is Minnesota the Most Democratic-Friendly State in the Midwest?
- Marty Seifert: His Own Kind of Republican
- Redistricting Update: SF 182 Heads to Rules Committee
- Pawlenty Approval Rating Defies National Trend; Eclipses 50 Percent Mark Once Again
- Pawlenty Faces 4th Largest Democratic-Dominated Legislature Among GOP Governors Nationwide
- December 2013? July 2016? Estimating When Unemployment Will Return to Pre-Recession Levels in Minnesota
- Erik Paulsen’s (Semi) Close Shave Could Get Closer in 2010
- Obama Sustains Early Support in Minnesota; Falters in Wisconsin and Iowa
- 79 Days: Minnesota Sets State Record for Longest Period With Only One U.S. Senator
- Michele Bachmann on D.C.: "I'm a Foreign Correspondent On Enemy Lines"
- Beyond the War of Words At the Capitol: What’s Next?
- Jobless Claims Rate of Increase Slowed Across Upper Midwest in February
- Beneath the Budget Battle, Redistricting Efforts Bubble Up
- Why MinnPost's Plea for Forgiveness of Minnesota's Famous Fugitive Is Unfounded
- On Why Analyzing the Leaked Coleman Data Is Ethical: A Reply to My Critics
- An Occupational Profile of Norm Coleman's Campaign Donor List
- Coleman's Compromised Donors: Where They Came From
- Minnesota Legislature Ranks Near Bottom in Proportional Representation of African-Americans
- What Euphemism For 'Tax Increase' Do You Prefer?
- Obama's New Stem Cell Policy Likely to Have Strong Support in Minnesota
- Minnesota Ranks 4th in the Nation in Electing Women to State Legislatures
- Pawlenty Approval Rating Sinks to Lowest Level Since October 2006
- Why (the DFL Thinks) Pawlenty Does Not Want A Structurally Balanced Budget
- Minnesotans' Approval of Obama Holds Steady As Support Wanes Nationwide
- Live Blog: House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher
- Will the DFL Get a Second Chance at a Veto-Proof Majority in 2010?
- House Speaker Warns New Budget Forecast Will Make Minnesotans’ Stomach Sick
- Breaking News Analysis: Minnesota's January Unemployment Numbers Set State Records
- The Unsinkable Michele Bachmann
- Despite Democratic Shift, Minnesotans Are No More Liberal Than Four Years Ago
- Democrats Lure Independents to Make Gains in Party ID In Minnesota and Upper Midwest; GOP Base Solid
- Eric Holder Fallout: How Do Minnesotans Feel About Race Relations in America?
- Minnesota: Where Is Your Outrage Towards Harry Reid?
- Why DFLers Can Stop Agonizing Over Losing to Paulsen and Bachmann
- Marijuana Arrests Decline As Legislative Support for Medicinal Use Builds
- Marty Seifert Not Impressed with DFL 'Mavericks' Nor Their Party's 'Sloppy Majority'
- DFLers in Safe Districts Shoot Down Voter ID Bill
- Kiffmeyer Challenges DFL on Voter ID: 'What Are You Afraid Of?'
- Why Governor Pawlenty's Criticism of the Federal Stimulus Bill Is Smart Politics
- Is Coleman's Hands-On Approach to His Court Challenge Going to Backfire?
- Why the Minnesota Senate Recount and Court Challenge Is Helping the Federal Budget Deficit
- Coleman Says 'God Wants Me to Serve'
- Pawlenty Approval Rating Stable Through Good Times and Bad
- No Excuses? Minnesota's Unemployment Rate Less Tied to National Economy Than That of Wisconsin and Iowa
- Is the DFL 'Overrepresented' at the State Capitol?
- Minnesota's 2010 Budget Deficit Among Top 10 Largest In Nation
- How Bad Are Things In Minnesota, Really?
- How Long Will It Take to Regain the 65,000+ Jobs Lost in Minnesota in 2008?
- House GOP Voter ID Legislation Has Strong Support Statewide
- Pawlenty Invokes Obama and Displays Fancy Footwork On Tax Policy in Budget Presentation
- Republicans In Minnesota Warming to Obama More Than In Other Upper Midwestern States
- The Trial Begins: What Is Norm Coleman's End Game?
- Minnesota Endures Worst Employment Skid in 30+ Years
- Tired of War: Minnesotans Not Shy About Changing Presidential Party During Wartime
- Does Keith Ellison Have a Mandate? Rep. Sets Freshman Re-election Record
- Stance of Ellison and McCollum On Israeli-Gaza Resolution Shines a Light on Liberal Voting Records
- A Content Analysis of Governor Pawlenty’s 2008 and 2009 State of the State Addresses
- 12 Days And Counting: Minnesota Already At 4th Longest Stint Without Two Senators in State History
- Will the Minnesota-Wisconsin Shared State Services Plan Work?
- Coleman Popularity Virtually Unchanged Since Election Day, Despite Recent Poll Headline
- How to Save Minnesota's U.S. House Seat: More Teenage Mothers?
- U.S. Senate Race Ends Up 12 Votes Shy of '62 Gubernatorial Margin of Victory Record
- How Opposed Are Minnesotans To Tax Increases?
- Will Al Franken Be the Favorite in 2014?
- Franken’s (Apparent) Victory Is 4th Weakest U.S. Senate Performance in DFL History
- Franken Has Big Edge in County Distribution of Absentee Ballots
- Minnesota's Currently Drawn Congressional Maps 3rd Least Competitive in State History
- Minnesota '08 U.S. House Contests More Competitive Than National Average by Double-Digits
- Hutchinson (’06) Performance Strong Predictor of Barkley Countywide Support in Minnesota Senate Race
- Crime and the Minnesota Economy Revisited: Brace for Property Crime Surge
- Getting to 15 Percent: Two Different Paths for Dean Barkley (’08) and Tim Penny (’02)
- Will Violent Crime in Minnesota Increase Along With the Jobless Rate?
- Minnesota Unemployment Rate Reaches Highest Level in Nearly A Quarter Century
- 'The McCain 14': House DFLers in Republican-Leaning Districts
- Who Will Be the 'Override Three?'
- Minnesota Leads Nation in Voter Turnout for Seventh Straight Election Cycle
- As Coleman Toils, Klobuchar Sails
- Upper Midwestern Reapportionment, Part II: A Historical Overview
- How Much Will 2012 Reapportionment Reduce Minnesota’s Political Influence?
- Live Blog: Fair Elections in Minnesota
- Smart Politics to Live Blog Minnesota Elections Conference Featuring Mondale, Ritchie, Ramstad
- Live Blog: Governor Pawlenty and Health Care Reform
- Smart Politics to Live Blog Health Care Conference Featuring Governor Pawlenty
- Tweedledum, Tweedledee: A Statistical Correlation of Ballot Challenges in the MN Senate Recount
- Pawlenty vs. the DFL: The Battle Lines Are (Gently) Drawn
- Today At The Capitol: Round 1 of the Budget Battle
- Bigger D.C. Power Broker: Jim Oberstar or David Obey?
- Minnesota GOP US House Candidates Receive Lowest Voter Support Since 1934
- Live Blog: Redistricting in Minnesota
- Minnesota Is Not Massachusetts: How Norm Coleman (Probably) Survived the Democratic Wave
- Smart Politics to Live Blog Conference on MN Redistricting
- Coleman Victory Would Be the Greatest GOP Senate Triumph in Minnesota History
- MN Senate Recount: Challenges in Franken Territory On the Rise
- Minnesota Unemployment Trend Worst In 22 Years
- CSPG Report: Potential for Change in the Senate Recount
- MN Senate Recount: Challenged Ballot Rate Identical in Coleman and Franken Counties
- Coleman Victory Would Renew Minnesota Tradition of Split-Ticket Voting
- MN Senate Election Analysis, Part 2: Norm Coleman’s Metro Slide
- MN Senate Election Analysis, Part 1: Franken Underperforms in Northern Minnesota
- Even At 42 Percent, Coleman's Performance Historically Strong
- Will Pawlenty Run For A Third Term?
- How Will the National Media Cover the Franken vs. Coleman Recount?
- Green Party Sets Personal Best in Minnesota's HD 61B Contest
- Third Party Impact on the 2008 Minnesota Legislative Vote
- Independence Party Sets New Records in Election 2008
- House DFLers Head Into 2010 With Favorable Electoral Map
- Wisconsin Votes Democratic By Larger Margin Than Minnesota for First Time in 72 Years
- DFL Fails to Win Supermajority in Minnesota House
- Upper Midwestern Election Results Links
- Smart Politics Projections: Minnesota State House
- Smart Politics Projections: Federal Races in Minnesota
- Humphrey Institute / MPR Poll: Franken and Coleman in Tight Race
- DFL Tries to Make History in U.S. House Races
- Humphrey Institute / MPR Poll: Obama Surging in Minnesota
- Franken Losing His Grip on Obama's Coattails
- Third CD Race in Minnesota Stil Deadlocked
- Election Profile: Minnesota U.S. Senate
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 8th Congressional District
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 7th Congressional District
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 6th Congressional District
- Humphrey Institute / MPR Poll: Bachmann Fighting for Political Life in MN-06
- Michele Bachmann Still Courting the National Media
- Live Blog: Norm Coleman on Energy Independence
- Live Blog: Al Franken on the Economy
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 4th Congressional District
- Will the DFL Reach 90 Seats in the Minnesota House?
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 3rd Congressional District
- Live Blog: David Dillon, Independence Party 3rd CD Candidate
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 2nd Congressional District
- Al Franken to Participate in Humphrey Candidate Forum Next Week
- Election Profile: Minnesota’s 1st Congressional District
- Senator Norm Coleman to Participate in Humphrey Institute Candidate Forum Series
- Live Blog: Erik Paulsen, GOP 3rd CD Candidate
- Live Blog: Ashwin Madia, DFL-3rd CD candidate
- Humphrey Institute Candidate Forums: Minnesota's 3rd Congressional District
- Live Blog: Dean Barkley on Political Polarization
- HHH / MPR News Poll – Obama Propelled by Financial Crisis and VP Debate
- Bias or Accuracy in the Star Tribune’s Minnesota Poll?
- The Sarah Palin Effect On Undecided Women Voters in Minnesota
- Dean Barkley Hits 19 Percent in New Minnesota Senate Poll
- Weekend Upper Midwestern Presidential Poll Roundup
- Dean Barkley Trying to Make History in MN U.S. Senate Race
- Upper Midwestern Presidential Poll Roundup
- MN U.S. Senate Elections Historically Uncompetitive in Presidential Election Years
- Why Isn’t Dean Barkley Derailing Al Franken's Candidacy?
- McCain in 2008 Well Ahead of Bush’s 2004 Pace in Minnesota
- What Will We Learn From the Minnesota U.S. Senate Primaries?
- 3rd CD: DFL Experiences Historical Bump in Presidential Election Years
- Trust in Government Drops By Nearly Half In Minnesota Since 2004
- Upper Midwesterns Back McCain on Foreign Policy; Domestic Policy Mixed
- Why Dean Barkley Is Hurting Al Franken's U.S. Senate Chances
- HHH/MPR Survey: Obama Up By 10 in Minnesota
- McCain Nearly Even With Obama in New Poll of Minnesotans
- Number of Undecided Voters Increasing in Minnesota Senate Race
- Obama Support Falls To Lowest Mark Against McCain in Rasmussen’s Minnesota Polling
- Will GOP Controversy Put 16th Senate District In Play for the DFL?
- Will Minnesotans Turn Out On Primary Day?
- Pawlenty Disapproval Numbers Increasing Amid VP Talk
- The Decline of a President: Tracing Bush's Approval Ratings in the Upper Midwest
- What Is the Democratic Ceiling Across Upper Midwestern State Legislatures?
- Will the GOP Make Gains in the Minnesota House?
- Minnesota Home to Increasing Number of Self-Identified Democrats
- Will Obama Perform Stronger in Wisconsin Than in Minnesota? Don’t Count On It
- How Blue Is Minnesota? Not 7 U.S. House Seats Blue
- Smart Politics Study: Independence Party Need Make No Apologies to the DFL
- MN State House: Independence Party Stops the Bleeding
- MN Senate: Ventura Out, Barkley In, Coleman & Franken Split in Two New Polls
- Rasmussen Poll: Obama Up Big in MN, IA, Competitive in the Dakotas
- The Upper Midwestern Voting Bloc in Presidential Elections
- Bush Approval Rating Hits All-Time Low in Minnesota
- Quinnipiac: Obama Breaks Out to Double Digit Leads in MN, WI
- Why Is Obama Talking About Religion?
- Obama in Iowa and Minnesota: Standing Where Kerry Stood in 2004
- New SurveyUSA Poll: Obama and McCain in Dead Heat in Minnesota
- Historical Snapshot: U.S. House Races in Minnesota
- Coleman Retains Small Lead Over Franken; Ventura Candidacy Looms
- MN 2002 U.S. Senate Election Revisited: Norm Coleman and the St. Paul Vote
- Al Franken Wins DFL Endorsement for U.S. Senate
- Smart Politics Interviews Minnesota Monitor
- Would Pawlenty Deliver Minnesota to McCain As VP Nominee?
- Norm Coleman Retains 10-Point Advantage in Latest SurveyUSA Poll
- Coleman Up 7 Points on Franken in New Poll
- Governors Doyle, Culver Getting Low Marks While Pawlenty Prevails
- Economic Conerns Continue to Dominate Upper Midwest
- The Ventura Legacy: Solidified and Stronger Third Parties
- Bush Approval Rating in Upper Midwest Lingers in the Basement
- Minnesotans' Outlook on U.S. Economy Quite Bleak
- Clinton Makes Big Gains Against Obama vis-à-vis McCain in Upper Midwest
- Coleman with 10-Point Lead Over Franken in New MN Senate Poll
- Will Bush Drive Independents Away from McCain in Upper Midwest?
- MN Legislature Overrides Pawlenty's Transportation Bill Veto
- The Bill Stops Here: Governor Pawlenty's Veto Pen
- Getting to 90: House Override of Pawlenty's Transportation Bill Veto Unlikely
- Rasmussen Poll: MN U.S. Senate Race A Dead Heat
- Clinton Trails, Obama Sails Against McCain in IA, MN
- MN US Senate: Coleman & Franken Tied in New Poll
- MInnesota Caucus Live Blog
- MPR / HHH MN Senate Poll: Franken & Coleman in Dead Heat
- New MPR / HHH Poll Finds Clinton, McCain with Edge in Minnesota
- McCain Only GOP-er to Defeat Dems in Minnesota
- Smart Politics Interviews Minnesota Democrats Exposed
- Live Blog: Redistricting Hearing at the Capitol
- CSPG's Minnesota Redistricting Project to Testify Before Senate Today
- McCain Still Top GOP Dog In Battleground States
- Political Influence of Upper Midwest In Decline?
- And A 3rd MN Senate Poll: Coleman Still On Top
- Coleman's Lead In Single Digits In New Rasmussen Poll
- Coleman in Dead Heat With DFL in MN 2008 Senate Race
- Clinton Rolls Over GOP in MN ; McCain Toughest Competitor
- Presidential Politics in Minnesota II: The Battleground State
- Presidential Politics in Minnesota: A Historical Overview
- First MN Poll of Pres. Primary Matchups Released
- Democrats Still Lead GOP Presidential Hopefuls in MN
- Pressure High on Sen. Coleman to Help Minimize Democratic Caucus Margin
- DFL Prospects in Ramstad's 3rd CD Open Seat
- Will 3rd Party Candidates Tilt MN 2008 Senate Race?
- Midwestern GOP Senators Quick to Comment on Bush's Speech
- Franken and Ciresi Close In Further On Sen. Coleman in New Poll
- Senator Coleman Critical of Gonzales, Craig
- Live Blogging at Congressman Ramstad Event
- GOP Holds on to MN 28B House Seat; But What Does It Mean?
- Coleman and Klobuchar Seek $250 Million for I-35 Bridge Reconstruction
- Coleman and Klobuchar Release Joint Statement on Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
- Coleman's Lead Shrinks Over DFL-ers in New SurveyUSA Poll
- Franken vs. Coleman: Clinton vs. Lazio Revisited?
- How Will Upper Midwestern Independents Vote In 2008?
- Iraq War Policy: How Will Coleman Vote?
- Live Blogging: Congressman Oberstar on Transportation Policy
- Bush Job Approval Rating Falls Below 30% in Minnesota
- Norm Coleman Breaks with GOP Party Leadership on Gonzales Vote
- Live Blogging: Congressman Keith Ellison Event
- Illegal Immigration Issue Hits MN While Bill Moves Through Congress
- Smart Politics Exclusive: Interview with House Minority Leader Marty Seifert
- MN House Gas Tax Increase In Step With Statewide Majority View
- Coleman Maintains Large Leads Over DFL Challengers
- Live Blogging: Sen. Coleman Event
- Ramstad Petitions Bush to Find Iraq Solution
- Pawlenty Wins Minor Battle in Fight Against Illegal Immigration
- Who Is Driving Upper Midwest Support of Edwards?
- Klobuchar & Coleman Still Get High Marks
- Republican ID at Lowest Level in Years in MN
- Gun Ownership Upper Midwestern Snapshot
- Live Blog at GOP Events Announced
- Live Blog: Rep. Walz Event
- Klobuchar Event: Live Blogging
- Klobuchar, the Environment, and Smart Politics Live Blogging
- Smart Politics Live Blogging at Klobuchar Event
- Upper Midwestern States Contemplate Presidential Primary Dates
- Turnover in 2008 MN House Party Control Follow-up
- GOP Unlikely to Take Back MN House in 2008
- Norm Coleman Maintains Double-Digit Lead Over Al Franken in New Poll
- Smoking in MN: Yes in Bars, No in Restaurants
- Female Legislators in MN At Record High; IA, WI, and SD Lag Behind National Average
- Tax Increases Not a Deal Breaker in Minnesota
- Global Warming Acknowledged in Upper Midwest
- IA, MN, and WI Share Identical View of Bush's Job Performance
- Franken Announces Senate Candidacy; Starts 22 Points in the Hole
- Tim Walz Plays Hardball…and Goes Hitless
- Iraq, Coleman, and Minnesotans' Views on the War
- Coleman 1 of 2 Republicans to Vote for Debate on Senate Iraq Resolution
- Franken's Path to D.C. Could Be a Rocky Road
- Lights Out On Lighting Up? Potential Smoking Bans Considered in MN and WI
- Klobuchar Begins Term With Strong Statewide Support
- Addresses by Upper Midwest Governors Remarkably Similar
- Divided Government in Minnesota:
New Smart Politics Commentary at TPT
- Will 2008 Republican National Convention Have An Impact On MN Presidential Vote?
- Immigration: The Unspoken Issue Facing Minnesota Politics?
- Minnesota's Approval of Pawlenty Job Performance Remarkably Stable
- MN vs. WI: Which State Is Most Likely to Vote GOP for President in 2008?
- Large Electoral Gains by Minority Party Not Uncommon in MN House
- Right of Center Third Party Candidates Disappearing in Minnesota
- The Green Party: A Short Half-Life in Minnesota Politics
- The Decline of the Independence Party
- Presence and Impact of Third Party Candidates in MN House Races Declining
- Minnesota State Legislative Recount Update
- A Tale of (Two?) States: Demographic Support for Republican Gubernatorial Candidates in MN and WI Strikingly Similar
- Minnesota State Senate Election Analysis: DFL Thoroughly Dominates Republicans
- Reader Request: Should Mike Hatch Have Better Utilized Keith Ellison in His Campaign?
- Upper Midwest State Legislative Projections
- Minnesota Poll Roundup and Smart Politics Projections
- Klobuchar Builds Lead Over Kennedy In Latest Humphrey Poll
- Hatch Builds Lead in New Humphrey Institute Poll
- MN House: GOP at a Disadvantage
- MN-08: An Intriguing Matchup
- Elections Project Releases 2006 Candidate Profiles Site
- Religion and Minnesota Politics
- MN-02: Rowley Closes Gap
- Upper Midwest US House Races Tighten in GOP Held Districts…But Is a Revolution Afoot?
- Split Ticket Voting Revisited
- Who's Looking On the Sunny Side of Life?
- MN: The Decline of Independents?
- US House Redistricting: Iowa Gets Lowest Marks for Proportionality
- Third Parties: Minnesota Leads the Pace in US House Races
- Blue Dog Democrats Well Represented in Upper Midwest
- MN: Split Ticket Voting Revisited
- Will Minnesotans Split Their Ticket in November?
- MN Senate: New HHH Poll Also Finds Double-Digit Lead for Klobuchar
- MN Governor: Race Still a Toss-Up
- MN Senate: Klobuchar Opens Up Remarkable Lead In 'Controversial' New MN Poll
- MN State Legislative Incumbents Hold Serve
- State Legislative Incumbents: Coasting in MN, Challenged in WI
- Where Have All the 3rd Party Minnesota Candidates Gone?
- Immigration: The Invisible Issue in the MN US Senate Race?
- Battle for the Statehouse: Minnesota's State Senate Races
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota.