myU OneStop

Carlson School of Management Web Redesign Project
Heed Marilyn Carlson Nelson's Advice: Think Big!

I've been reflecting on a conversation I had with Marilyn Carlson Nelson at the Minnesota Cup Women's Entrepreneur Event earlier this month. Marilyn shared such wonderful insights and advice with the audience. However, one item particularly resonated with me -- while women own almost 30 percent of firms, their firms account for less than 7 percent of total employment.

According to Marilyn, to fix this, women need to start thinking big.

Continue reading...

Ambition and a Carlson School Degree Are a Powerful Combination

Recently, The Financial Times wrote a wonderful story that chronicled John Stumpf's amazing journey from a Minnesota farm to chief executive of one of our nation's largest companies (Wells Fargo). He shared in the article how a coalescence of academic theory and day-to-day practical application that he experienced while earning his Carlson MBA at night changed his life.

Continue reading...

Rethinking the Way We Do Business

Curt Carlson was a true visionary. Not only did he have the foresight to create one of the first consumer loyalty programs through the Gold Bond Stamp Company; he also saw the wisdom in investing in the intellectual capacity of the school that now bears his name.

Continue reading...

Invest in yourself. Invest in our community. Invest in each other.

This might be my favorite time of the year! The energy and excitement blossoming in our buildings is truly contagious. And there's good reason to be enthused. As students, you are about to begin the next step on a journey that can take you anywhere you want.

Continue reading...

Getting Beyond Globalization

Success in business today requires an "us" and "them" mindset, rather than the "us" versus "them" approach that defined the past. One of the ways we have fostered this mentality at the Carlson School is by insisting that all of our students have an international educational experience.

Continue reading...

Connecting With Alumni Across the Globe

I had the wonderful opportunity to join President Kaler in China, the first stop of his international travels. I'm so incredibly proud of what our alumni in Hong Kong and Shanghai are accomplishing, and look forward to seeing our ties with China grow in the months and years to come!

Continue reading...

The Importance and Value of Relationships

Commencement was fantastic and I was so proud of the more than 1,300 students who received their degrees this past Monday.

As I was enjoying the celebration, one theme from our commencement speaker Peter McCormick and our wonderful student speakers jumped out at me. That theme was the importance and value of the relationships formed at the Carlson School.

Continue reading...

Lessons from the Past Year

I can't believe it has been more than a year since I was named dean of the Carlson School. And what a year it has been!

Continue reading...

Five Ideas Changing Business and Business Education

Earlier today, I had the honor of addressing alumni and friends of the Carlson School at the 1st Tuesday Speaker Series at McNamara Alumni Center. Here are my prepared remarks.

Continue reading...

An Update at Year's End and a Look to 2013

As this busy and exciting year draws to a close, I wanted to provide a quick update on some recent items of note and preview some things to look forward to in 2013.

Continue reading...

Sporting a Spartan Tattoo

Dean Stefanie Lenway of the Broad College of Business and I were together at TCF Bank Stadium on November 24 (more details in my last blog post). During the football game that afternoon, we decided to make a small wager.

Continue reading...

5 Big Ten B-School Deans Have Minnesota Connection

Our school is not just great at developing leaders for the corporate world, we also do a great job developing leaders for higher education.

Continue reading...

Endings Are Also New Beginnings

This past weekend, I had the distinct honor and pleasure of traveling to Warsaw and attending a variety of graduation ceremonies for the Warsaw Executive MBA Program.

The events marked the culmination of a highly successful and extraordinary partnership with the Warsaw School of Economics that spanned 17 fantastic years and 16 graduating classes. It is difficult to describe the energy, enthusiasm, and sense of accomplishment that permeated this special occasion.

Continue reading...

Be. Belong. Become.

Our three MBA programs truly are exceptional. Bloomberg Businessweek ranked our Full-Time Program as No. 1 in job placement last year and the Part-Time Program is 9th in the country according U.S. News & World Report.

However, rankings alone don't tell the whole story. At the Carlson School, we focus on really transforming lives through hands-on, high touch business education.

Continue reading...

A Beautiful Reminder of Our Purpose

We don't make widgets at the Carlson School. We're in the business of transforming lives through business education. I try not to lose sight of our mission when dealing with the day-to-day activities and now I have a constant reminder of it in my office.

Continue reading...

Developing the Next Generation of Principled Business Leaders

Ethics and corporate responsibility are woven throughout our undergraduate curriculum. However, in today's business environment we must constantly ask ourselves, can we be doing even more to shape the next generation of principled business leaders. We think we can.

Continue reading...

A Look Back and a Look Ahead

It's hard for me to believe that a little more than 100 days ago I became dean of the Carlson School of Management. So much has taken place in that period of time and I wanted to provide you with a bit of an update on what's happened and share a glimpse of what's to come.

Continue reading...

A Message to the Class of 2012

In celebration, we gathered yesterday to award you with a degree that recognizes your tireless efforts, acknowledges your scholarly achievements, and symbolizes the life-changing effect that higher education holds. Regardless of whether you pursue a career in business or continue on with your studies, your Carlson School of Management degree has you poised to shape your future, and that of business.

Continue reading...

Insights from Inside the Boardroom

Recently we hosted our annual Women's Leadership Conference, which was highlighted by a delightful "Inside the Boardroom" conversation with Buffalo Wild Wings CEO Sally Smith.

Continue reading...

Carlson for the Community

Our students are amazing!

They have the skills and abilities to accomplish anything that they set their minds to. And more importantly, they have learned the importance of giving back so early in their careers.

Continue reading...

Ideas for Improving the Carlson School Are All Around Us

Travel is a significant part of a dean's duties and I very much enjoy the chance to bring the Carlson School to the world as I meet with our alumni. Their passion for the school is so invigorating, and I find I learn as much about what makes this place special when I'm away as I do when I'm on campus.

Simply changing our frame of reference can lead to such wonderful insights. On one recent trip, I found myself fascinated by the operational efficiencies of the hospitality industry and the intricacies of cross-cultural teams, and wondering whether we could incorporate any of their insights here.

Continue reading...

Your Ideas Will Make the Carlson School Even Better
What has the Carlson School meant to you? What do you want your relationship with the Carlson School to look like? And what are your dreams for the Carlson School?

Your answers to these questions will help me articulate our shared pathway for the future.

Continue reading...

The Business of Transforming Lives

Last week I had the good fortune of speaking at two events that epitomize the transformational nature of the Carlson MBA experience.

Continue reading...

Social Media Will Become a Defining Issue for Business in 2012

Last week I was invited to participate in a wide-ranging discussion of economic and business issues on Almanac's business panel on Twin Cities Public Television with Chris Farrell and Professor Jeanne Boeh of Augsburg. One topic we discussed was the growing pervasiveness of social media and the behavioral trends it is spawning. We rely so much on peer to peer networks and on machine intelligence to guide us on what and where and how we consume - and even who we share our lives with.

Continue reading...