myU OneStop

Carlson School of Management Web Redesign Project

Responding to Your Recent Questions

In the past few days, I've received some questions regarding state funding of the Carlson School and what that might mean for our future.

For those who might not know, allocation of state funds to the Carlson School has gone down from approximately $13.7 million in FY07 (about 17% of our operating budget then) to an expected $4.0 million in FY12. Included in that $4.0 million is $682,000 of State Special allocations, making unrestricted state funds closer to $3.3 million, or less than 3.6% of this year's budget.

Being a management school, we're particularly conscious of operating lean without sacrificing quality, and have managed to post some of the best Undergraduate four- and five-year graduation rates and admission and placement statistics of any college in the University despite cuts to state funding. Should state funding continue to decrease, we would look at all possible sources to grow our revenues, including executive education and private philanthropy, as we have done over the past few years.

My husband Aks and I have spent almost 20 years at the University of Minnesota and there is no place we'd rather be. As I've written before, we have a gem of a school and we need to work together to ensure its place in our community. Regardless of how the Carlson School is funded in the future, it will remain as committed to the University of Minnesota and to serving the state as it is today.

As an incoming undergraduate from the state of North Dakota I can clearly see that these budget cuts are causing immediate harm to the attractiveness of the University for out-of-state students. Some of my brightest friends who would have loved to go to the U for its great location were practically forced to remain in North Dakota by the competitive tuition rates, or ended up paying significantly more money at private coastal schools because they were unsure of the long-term reputation of a Minnesota degree.

North Dakota's massive new investments in education are rapidly growing the areas around colleges, and businesses driven by state-funded research are sprouting up every day. Minnesota's state legislators would do well to consider what their neighbors clearly know: tax revenues don't occur independently of expenditures in higher education; higher education drives revenues. If you come across the Red you can see that every day.

Carlson could potentially be one of the strongest bastions against a decline in the reputation for the University over the coming years and a high return social investment for the state's economic growth. It would be extremely difficult to replicate the draw of Carlson in any North Dakota school very quickly, and the "immigration incentive" to entrepreneurial and business-minded people that Carlson represents has a vast but often unnoticed effect on the number of bright business-people in the state. North Dakota has certainly noticed the slow siphoning of its best and brightest and is hungry to take a few of them back. They aren't thinking about what they can do "very quickly," they're thinking long-term, and as a result their investment in business education is already gearing up.

So I will be attending the University of Minnesota. And after graduation, I intend to live and work in Minnesota for as long as I can. But if Minnesota can't find a way to continue to leverage its educational resources to create economic opportunity and pull in brilliant young minds, my future kids might find themselves growing up like their dad did... in North Dakota.

Dear Max: What a thoughtful and passionate articulation of the benefits of investing in great educational institutions for a city, a state, a region!

Attracting and retaining talented individuals is one of the best ways to spur economic development. Thank you for laying this idea out to the people of Minnesota so clearly and so well.

I am honored and delighted that you chose to come here, and promise never to forget that students like you have choices.

Best,
Sri

Your Video was great but at the end, why not Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year instead of Happy Holidays??? After all, "Jesus" is the reason for the season!!!