CTR Portal Enhancements released Friday, October 14

Several enhancements will be available in the CTR Portal beginning Friday, October 14. Please review the list below and contact Beth Mohr or Trung Ngo with questions.

Enhancements to My Projects

• When a user clicks on a CTSI ID in the My Projects widget (on the Portal home screen), the user is routed to the My Projects module with that project as the search result, rather than opening the project record itself.

• Multiple Contract Numbers may now be recorded in the My Projects - Basic Information tab's EFS Sponsored Account section, including the ability to hide or show award data.

Enhancements to Register Project and Request for Services
  • On Project Registration Form - Associated Staff - Select Role option, the button text has been changed from "Choose" to "Add."

• On the Project Registration form, upon clicking the "Register Project" button, a pop up message appears containing text of "Are you sure you wish to submit this request?" and a button of "Confirm Submission." This pop up message text has been changed to: "Are you sure you wish to register this project?" and the button to: "Confirm Registration."

• On the Project Registration confirmation page, in the breadcrumb trail, the wording of "Request Services" has been removed since this text should not appear until a Request for Services record has actually been initiated.

• On the Request for Services form's Basic Info tab, a response is now required for question #4 ("How will your research be funded?") in order to successfully navigate forward or back.

• The Project Registration confirmation e-mail text has been updated to address the issue of individuals not initiating a subsequent Request for Services form.

• If a project had a previous Request for Services submission, the data from the previous submission is pre-populated on the Request for Services form's Gather Project Details tab, with the ability to edit this data.

• Text of (BDAC) has been added behind "Biostatistical Support from CTSI" on the Request for Services form's Specify Service Lines tab.

• Upon submitting the Project Registration form, a modal window appears on top of the confirmation page with options of "I need CTSI services" (which routes user to Request for Services form) or "I DO NOT need CTSI services" (which closes modal window and brings user to confirmation page).

• On Request Services - Select Services tab - Scientific Review questions, in the text of "Each field is required with the exception of the last...," the text of "with the exception of the last" has been removed because it was not accurate (the last question is indeed required).

• The "Printer Friendly" version of Request for Services form has been fixed and is functional.

Enhancements to Review Request Services (used by Reviewers, Editors, Cost Estimators)
  • Reviewers, Editors, and Cost Estimators are now able to access the "View Archive" option in the Review Request Services module.

Thank you and congratulations to Carolee Wieneke

After more than 20 years of service Carolee Wieneke retired from the University on October 3rd. Carolee was a valuable and valued employee who provided her skills and services to several university departments over the course of her career, most recently serving as Executive Administrative Assistant to Dr. Mark Herzberg. Carolee and her husband Tony plan to travel extensively beginning with a tour of the southern states in November. Additional trips Carolee has planned include visits with friends and family in Texas and a trip to Hawaii in the spring. Carolee plans to pursue her much loved photography hobby as she tours and when home in Minneapolis she hopes to spend much more time with her grandchildren. We extend our congratulations to Carolee on a fine university career and wish her much happiness as she enjoys her well deserved retirement.

REDCAP software available for data capture

This month, the Biomedical Health Informatics and Biostatistics Design and Analysis teams launch REDCap (or Research Electronic Data Capture), a secure web application designed exclusively to support data capture for research.

REDCap is available to UMN research teams at no costs, and this tool is fully supported by the Biostatistics Design and Analysis Center (BDAC) at CTSI. The BDAC team now offers regular introduction sessions to help investigators determine if this is the right tool for a particular study. 

Contact Sue Lowry for more information or visit the UMN REDCap website learn more.

CTSI Connects With...Dr. Sheila Riggs

Each month CTSI Connect will feature a staff member interview, so you can learn more about your colleagues. In September, we connected with Sheila Riggs, DDS, Associate Professor and department chair for Primary Dental Care.In addition to facilitating Community University Board meetings, Dr. Riggs was named director of the Office of Community Engagement for Health (OCEH).

I work in clinical research because: there is so much potential and opportunity to partner with the community to determine the best solutions to health issues that have vexed our communities for too long.
My typical duties or work day consists of: working with Andrea Leinberger-Jabari to maximize the work of the Office of Community Engagement for Health. I am also the Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the School of Dentistry. In this role, I work with faculty and students to maximize the educational experiences of dental, dental therapy, and dental hygiene students.
For recreation I like to: walk on the gravels roads that surround a 100 acre 'retreat' my husband and I own 2 hours south of the Twin Cities. I usually take our dog Josie with me on the walks.
My current or favorite read: Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams. It is a lightly written book that describes a portion of my summer vacation this year.

Picture 1.png

Favorite quote: I am one of seven siblings and we recently created a mission statement to guide the next generation of our (McGuire) family. "At our core, we are fair and self-respecting leaders who are responsible and do meaningful work to make our communities safe and secure and our society just."

CTSI Connect changes format

Since its inception in January, the CTSI Connect newsletter was an opportunity for staff to keep each other informed of new developments, progress and changes.

With the announcement of the CTSA in June, and the implementation of the CTR Portal in August, we saw the need for quick updates and a steady information stream rather than in a monthly email.

We bring you CTSI Connect for staff updates and CTSI News for campus outreach.

The new format allows for comments, a better search function and daily posts.

While CTSI staff are welcome to contribute items at any time, we ask you to help keep content fresh with the following monthly news cycle:

Week 1: Biomedical Health Informatics (BMI); Office of Discovery and Translation (ODAT); CTSI Connects With (featuring a staff member).

Week 2: Clinical Translational Research Services (CTRS) function updates to include:

~ Clinical Research Implementation Services (CRIS)
    ~ Biostatistical Design and Analysis Center (BDAC)
    ~ Regulatory Knowledge & Support
    ~ Research Project Managers
    ~ Research Subject Advocate

Week 3: Office of Community Engagement for Health (OCEH) and Education, Training and Career Development (EdTRCD)

Week 4: Director's Message; Evaluation & Monitoring (eTeam)
Ongoing: Research news