The UMN Farmer's Market is in its final weeks and Michelle Hanson, CTSI research dietitian, shares this 10-minute simple but tasty dish that is currently being used in a Native American study at CTSI.
4 c. cut green beans
1 t. olive oil
½ c. sliced green onions
4 cloves of garlic
2 c. plum tomato, seeded and thinly sliced (about ¾lb)
2 T. chopped fresh basil (or 2 t. dried basil)
¼ t. Salt
1/8 t. Pepper
1. Steam green beans, covered, 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high level heat.
3. Add onions and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
4. Add green beans; sauté 3 minutes.
5. Add tomato and remaining ingredients; sauté 2 minutes.
Yield: 4 (1 c.) Servings
The Farmer's Market is held on the east bank at the Church Street pedestrian mall every Wednesday from 11 am until 2 pm through October 5.