CTSI Connects With...Dr. Sheila Riggs

Each month CTSI Connect will feature a staff member interview, so you can learn more about your colleagues. In September, we connected with Sheila Riggs, DDS, Associate Professor and department chair for Primary Dental Care.In addition to facilitating Community University Board meetings, Dr. Riggs was named director of the Office of Community Engagement for Health (OCEH).

I work in clinical research because: there is so much potential and opportunity to partner with the community to determine the best solutions to health issues that have vexed our communities for too long.
My typical duties or work day consists of: working with Andrea Leinberger-Jabari to maximize the work of the Office of Community Engagement for Health. I am also the Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the School of Dentistry. In this role, I work with faculty and students to maximize the educational experiences of dental, dental therapy, and dental hygiene students.
For recreation I like to: walk on the gravels roads that surround a 100 acre 'retreat' my husband and I own 2 hours south of the Twin Cities. I usually take our dog Josie with me on the walks.
My current or favorite read: Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams. It is a lightly written book that describes a portion of my summer vacation this year.

Picture 1.png

Favorite quote: I am one of seven siblings and we recently created a mission statement to guide the next generation of our (McGuire) family. "At our core, we are fair and self-respecting leaders who are responsible and do meaningful work to make our communities safe and secure and our society just."