Recently in Community Engagement Category

CTSI Connects With...Dr. Sheila Riggs

Each month CTSI Connect will feature a staff member interview, so you can learn more about your colleagues. In September, we connected with Sheila Riggs, DDS, Associate Professor and department chair for Primary Dental Care.In addition to facilitating Community University Board meetings, Dr. Riggs was named director of the Office of Community Engagement for Health (OCEH).

I work in clinical research because: there is so much potential and opportunity to partner with the community to determine the best solutions to health issues that have vexed our communities for too long.
My typical duties or work day consists of: working with Andrea Leinberger-Jabari to maximize the work of the Office of Community Engagement for Health. I am also the Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the School of Dentistry. In this role, I work with faculty and students to maximize the educational experiences of dental, dental therapy, and dental hygiene students.
For recreation I like to: walk on the gravels roads that surround a 100 acre 'retreat' my husband and I own 2 hours south of the Twin Cities. I usually take our dog Josie with me on the walks.
My current or favorite read: Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams. It is a lightly written book that describes a portion of my summer vacation this year.

Picture 1.png

Favorite quote: I am one of seven siblings and we recently created a mission statement to guide the next generation of our (McGuire) family. "At our core, we are fair and self-respecting leaders who are responsible and do meaningful work to make our communities safe and secure and our society just."

First community engagement summit a success

OCEHSummit.png The Transforming Partnerships: Community Engagement for Health Summit on Sept. 21 drew more than 80 community and UMN stakeholders for a day of discussion at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. Participants learned about new directions for engaging in meaningful research partnerships. Hosted by the Office of Community Engagement for Health (OCEH), this event officially kicked off CTSI's community engagement agenda, which included a morning panel discussion with Dr. Bruce Blazar, Andrew Nelson, and Dr. Andrew Furco. Keynote speaker Dr. Susan LeBailly, director of the Practice Based Research Program at the Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences (NUCATS) Institute, highlighted best practices in community engagement. Later in the day, chairs of each OCEH community council, Dr. Rahul Koranne, Dr. Jennifer Lundblad, Mr. Mitchell Davis, Jr., and Mr. Jim Krile, gave their perspectives on how the CTSA can provide opportunities for the community. Moderated small group discussion focused on community engagement goals and growth opportunities. "There were truly honest conversations and feedback," said Dr. Sheila Riggs, director of the OCEH, reflecting on the afternoon table discussions and audience polls.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Community Engagement category.

Biomedical Health Informatics is the previous category.

CTR Portal, Tools, and Software is the next category.