Need data? Clinical Data for Researchers
There is a new process for obtaining clinical data for researchers at the University of Minnesota. Health researchers NOW have access to clinical data from the electronic medical records of patients seen at Fairview Health Services hospital and clinics. Visit the Data Access page to request data and for more information..
For routine requests, there is no charge for the service. Response time for most approved requests will be under 10 working days, as it was with requests made to Fairview Health Services. More complex queries will take longer.
This is a core service for researchers offered by the Clinical Translational Science Institute (CTSI) and the Office of Biomedical Health Informatics (BMHI). This arrangement and the associated services are the outcome of a recently forged partnership between the University and Fairview Health Services.
This service, will achieve key outcomes:
• Provide critical medical/health data for health-related research.
• Support efficient processes to ensure compliance with federal, state, and university regulations.
• Reduce the risk of unintended use of patient data.
• Streamline IT processes through centralizing IT server/hardware management and storage, where applicable
• Ensure standardized employment of consistent legal agreements for vendors.
• Provide free access to analytic tools.
NOTE: This process will NOT impact any active data feeds from Fairview. Regular data feeds to the Academic Health Center that populate registries and research databases will continue. This change will only affect individual research requests for retrospective analysis, feasibility planning, or subject recruitment.
If you have questions about this process, please contact the Informatics Consulting Service.