Recently in International News Category

Tulare County shooting resulted in the death of three

| No Comments

A man shot three people and wounded four in a shooting on a Californian Indian reservation in Tulare County, news sources report.

Suspect Hector Celaya, 31, was arrested after Tulare County sheriff's deputies were called to a trailer on the Tule Indian Reservation, where the bodies of two men and a woman were found. Calaya had also shot and wounded his two daughters, ages 5 and 8, who were found in the vehicle with Celaya when he was arrested around 2 a.m. Saturday, officials said, The Bakersfield Californian reports.

Shots were fired inside Celaya's jeep when he finally stopped after fleeing from authorities, who shot him. Celaya was taken to the hospital for life-threatening injuries, authorities said. One of Celaya's daughters is being treated for life-threatening injuries, and the conditions of both daughters were not immediately known when they were discovered by authorities. It is not known when the girls where shot, The Los Angeles Times reports.

Beauty queen killed in shootout

| No Comments

Mexican beauty queen died during a shootout between a suspected drug trafficking gang and soldiers in Sinaloa, news sources report.

2012 Woman of Sinaloa, Maria Susana Flores Gamez, 20, was traveling with a gang of suspected drug traffickers when they engaged in a shootout with military troops. Officers found a rifle near Gamez's body, however, it's not clear who shot her and it is unclear if she engaged in the shootout. The shootout also resulted in the death of two others, CNN reports.

Soldiers engaged in an hours-long chase with the gang, some members escaped during the shootout while others weren't so lucky. Amongst the two members that died, four were detained and officials seized six vehicles along with weapons and drugs. This instance is at least the third in which a beauty queen or pageant contestant has been connected to violent Mexican drug cartels, KENS 5 reports.

Trends where beauty queens or pageant contestants are involved with drug cartels is a sad but common occurrence in countries that offer few opportunities for youth. "They are disposable objects, the lowest link in the chain of criminal organizations," Javier Valdez, author of the 2009 book "Miss Narco," about narcotic ties to beauty pageants, said. "The young men recruited as gunmen and the pretty young women who are tossed away in two or three years, or are turned into the police or killed," CBS News reports.

U.S. Marine arrested in Okinawa

| No Comments

Japanese police arrested a U.S. Marine Sunday on suspicion of trespassing, news sources report.

The 24-year-old was arrested after trespassing into the apartment of an Okinawa islander, police said. People in Japan hold an anti-American sentiment after two U.S. navy sailors raped a local woman in October, The Gulf Times reports.

Thomas Chanquet, of the Futenma Air Force, snuck into an unlocked apartment and fell asleep in a bedroom; a neighbor saw the incident and called police. Chanquet was drunk and is believed to have broken curfew while drinking off base, Masahiko Gishi, of the Okinawa police said, The Japan Daily Press reports.

Curfew was set for all troops in Japan after the two Navy sailors allegedly raped an Okinawan girl and a U.S. airman allegedly assaulted a teenager. A formal protest was lodged with the U.S. Embassy and U.S. military after the incident Sunday and Japan demanded for the enforcement of the curfew, Fox News reports.

Norwegian mass killer complains about prison conditions

| No Comments

A mass murderer complains about prison conditions after killing 77 people, news sources report.

Murderer Anders Behring Breivik is serving a 21-year sentence for gunning down teenagers on the Norwegian island of Utoya last year, telling fleeing teens, "You're all going to die," The Los Angeles Times reports.

Breivik, 33, wrote to prison officials complaining his inability to express political options and read all letters addressed to him, his laser Tord Jordet says. The Oslo District Court found Breivik sane and guilty of the July 22, 2011 terrorism and premeditated murder attacks. Sentencing can be extended as long as Brevik is considered a danger to society, Fox News reports.

Other short-comings were included in the letter to prison officials such as: "not enough butter for his bread; having to rush is morning shave; handcuffs that are 'too sharp,' and having to live in a cell that is decorated badly," USA Today reports.

Norwegian paper Verdens Gang discovered and exposed Breivik's correspondence to high-ranking right-wing extremists, resulting in restrictions in his activities. Authorities deprive him of letters in association with the establishment of the new extremist network, the Conservative Revolutionary Movement, Mail Online reports.

Cyclone Nilam claims lives

| No Comments

Tropical Storm Nilam claimed eight lives and displaced 150,000 people in India and Sri Lanka before weakening Thursday, news sources report.

282 schools were turned into relief centers by state authorities in Chennai, cargo operations at the city's port were placed at a halt, district official B. Sridhar said that about 150,000 people were directed to Nellore shelters, flooding displaced 4,627 people in Sri Lanka, and the island's central region landslide threat caused 56 people to flee, NBC News reports.

Heavy rains cause electric wires to snap resulting in multiple electrocutions and houses collapse resulting in deaths in East Godavari, Prakasam, Nellore, and Kakinada. An elderly woman died due to sudden temperature drops in Nellore. Cattle loss and crop damages were also reported, The Times of India reports.

An oil tanker named the Pratibha Cauvery became stranded after it ran aground near Elliots Beach in Chennai during Cyclone Nilam. The crew abandoned ship, but the strong winds caused the lifeboat carrying the 22 crew members to capsize. Fishermen rescued 16 of the crew members, one member died, and the rest are missing. The coast guard began searching for the remaining crew with five helicopters and three boats, The New York Times reports.

Of the 198 damaged electric poles, 100 have been repaired and power has been restored to numerous people. "A large number of fisherfolk live along E.C.R., and 3,888 people were all evacuated last night," the Kancheepuram district collector, L. Sitherasenan said. "Most of them have now returned to their homes," The New York Times reports.

Afghan Peace Deal with Taliban become dim

| No Comments

An outreach from Pakistan and the withdraw of foreign troops holds potential aid to a peace deal with the Taliban, news sources report.

Ambitious American plans for ending the war turned into a modest goal of stage setting. After a majority of Western forces depart, Afghans are set up to work a deal out amongst themselves and Pakistan is ensured to be on board with any settlement. Significant progress is only expected to be made after 2014, the New York Times reports.

Pakistan attempted to reach out publicly and the motion was appreciated key Afghan leader Abdullah Abdullah said. Previous attempts to communicate were not accepted because they were not done publicly. "I see a lot of good in reaching out, in engagement, in dialogue," Abdullah said. The Taliban was rattled by the outreach and warned Pakistani officials that the non-Pashtuns cannot be trusted, Rahimullah Yousufzai said, ABC News reports.

A major role in a peace deal emerging between the Taliban and the Afghan government could be the aid of a third party, Fancesc Vendrell, former representative of the EU and UN in Afghanistan said. Kabul's insistence on being the peace process leader challenges the United States who already assumed the role. The United States is also challenged by the influence of Iran and Pakistan, Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty reports.

China hires underage interns

| No Comments

Underage interns were found working in China's Foxconn factories Tuesday, news sources report.

The underage interns, aging as young as 14-years-old, were found during a company investigation at a factory in the city of Yantai. The legal working age in China is 16-years-old. The children were sent back to school, Denver Post reported.

Foxconn carries a short-term internship program with numerous vocational schools and education programs throughout China. State media reports that the programs and tabs for students is in reaction to the shortages of labor in Foxconn plants. Thousands of students fall victim, Mercury News reported.

Regional editor at China's Economist Intelligence Unit, Duncan Innes-Ker, informed BBC News that for several years the regulation of underage employment has been "a grey area." Companies have lowered standards to include individuals with little skill in order to fill shortages. The number of underage interns is unknown, Global Post reported.


Australian daredevil breaks the sound barrier skydiving

| 1 Comment

Daredevil and extremist Felix Baumgartner jumped from the stratosphere, 24-miles high, setting world records, news sources report.

Baumgartner, 43, broke the record for the highest skydive, highest manned balloon flight, and broke the sound barrier (approximately 690 mph) by reaching speeds close to 833 mph according to preliminary data, International Business Times reports.

The Australian daredevil adds another mark to the already historical day, "the 65th anniversary of the first supersonic airplane flight" in 1947 by Chuck Yeager. Baumgartner free fell for approximately 4 minutes and 20 seconds before his parachute deployed, setting yet another record, Yahoo! News reports.

It took approximately 2-1/2 hours to ascend into the stratosphere but only a mere 10 minutes to land safely on the ground in New Mexico. Baumgartner tells reporters, "Sometimes you have to get up really high to know how small you are." Raising his arms in victory, Baumgartner tackled the historical plummet, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Syrian Government Targets Hospitals

| No Comments

The Syrian government is targeting and torturing dissidents in hospitals, forcing protesters to seek medical attention and treatment elsewhere, news sources report.

Government officials and medical workers have been seen torturing and ill-treating patients in the government-run hospitals. Any hospital workers "suspected of treating" dissidents face arrest and torture themselves, Amnesty International reports.

A large amount of people finds the risk of not treating major wounds safer than seeking medical attention at hospitals. Many find themselves seeking medical attention at makeshift or private hospitals in an attempt to avoid the potential violence and consequences of visiting a government-run hospital, according to Amnesty International.

Medical equipment for the makeshift hospitals are stored in a warehouse apart from the many hospitals and patients that share it incase of a raid. Makeshift hospitals can receive equipment such as operating tables and heart monitors within 10 minutes, PRI reports.

"There are few doctors who were willing to risk their lives to help injured protesters, because it's so dangerous," Reporter Ramita Navai tells PRI.

Although documentation of the patient abuse exists, government officials repeatedly deny "all allegations of mistreating protesters," PRI reports.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the International News category.

Analysis is the previous category.

Local News is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

Pages

Powered by Movable Type 4.31-en