« Europe Works To Stave Off Financial Crisis | Main | Gore Appears At DFL Fundraiser »

O.J. Simpson Guilty on Robbery, Kidnapping Charges

On the 13-year anniversary of his acquittal in his wife's murder case, a jury found O.J. Simpson guilty of armed robbery, kidnapping, and 10 other charges on Friday, reported The New York Times.

The incident, a confrontation in a Las Vegas hotel room in which Simpson and four other men stole hundreds of sports memorabilia items, yielded various charges which could send the 61-year-old Simpson to prison for the rest of his life.

The kidnapping charge alone is punishable by five years to life and because a weapon was present, the minimum sentence for the majority of the charges against Simpson will be increased.

Simpson's lawyer, Yale Galanter, said he believes the jury's biases played a role in Simpson's guilty verdict.

"I don’t like to use the word payback,? said Galanter. “I can tell you from the beginning my biggest concern was whether or not the jury would be able to separate their very strong feelings about Mr. Simpson and judge him fairly and honestly.?

Despite any possible "spillover effect," as Galanter called it, prosecutors presented the jury with hours of taped conversations in which Simpson and four other men planned the attack, and testimony from three of those men.

According to witnesses in the courtroom, Simpson seemed markedly more subdued as the jury read a guilty verdict on all 12 charges, reported The Star Tribune.

“There’s a loneliness, a sadness about O. J. that I never saw before,? said Dominick Dunne, a Vanity Fair columnist famous for his coverage of SImpson's 1995 murder trial. "I think he understands how wrecked his life is.?