« Former Beijing vice-mayor given suspended death sentence for bribery, bad morals | Main | Bachmann's Obama Criticism Aids Opponent »

Powell Endorses Obama, Chides McCain

Bush's former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced his endorsement of Barack Obama, the Democratic candidate for president, on Sunday, reported The Star Tribune.

Calling Obama a "transformational figure," Powell said he believed both Obama and John McCain were well qualified, but only Obama can bring about a "generational change" in America.

"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," Powell said on NBC's Meet the Press. Powell went on to criticize the negative tone of John McCain's campaign, particularly the accusations that Obama was "palling around" with terrorists.

Additionally, Powell expressed concerns about John McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin.

"She’s a very distinguished woman, and she’s to be admired, but at the same time, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don’t believe she’s ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president,? he said.

Given his extensive foreign policy credentials, Powell's endorsement lends credibility to Obama's limited track record in diplomatic affairs.

Powell said he would not campaign for Obama but left the door open to a cabinet or advisory position in a potential Obama administration.