Reflections for 1/27-2/2

The Voithofer article was quite dense but also quite interesting. I was very interested in the ideas surrounding visual information, visual ideas, visual culture and how it the educational researcher needs to aware and versed in it going forward. I also liked the distinction he made between databases and retrieval interfaces and the algorithmic interfaces of games. In my experience and casual observation, uncovering learning through an algorithmic datastore offers stronger context and feed back than data retrieved through imposed hierarchical structures. There's more to this here, and I need to think more about it. I wonder if a Learning Technologist researcher/grad student will ever be allowed to submit a visual project dissertation. It's interesting to contemplate than rather than a book or journal article, instead what some researcher create as an end product of their research is a multimedia visual project. I know in the arts and film, this find of project or series of projects is needed. In education, however, it would be a completely different way of representing work. I'm not convinced yet that the visual "materiality" really represents a "different" way of knowing. I just think we may know have tools to better abstract and transcode the visual (to use Jenks words from V's article).

As usual, the Booth, et. al book ad very useful advice. I like the way they really distilled how to frame a problem, and the how they distinguished practical and pure research. The Willlimas book also had its usual nuggets, butt I am still unsure what to do about the gender bias in the second person singular. My strategy had been to pluralize (Researchers rather than Researcher or Groups rather than Group so I could then get away with you the the third person plural rather than singular). However, Williams describes why that is an unclear no-no. I don't like the solution of using the third person with the singular group for example, nor do I want to use the third person singular and say "he" or switch between "he" and "she". Both sound rather forced. So what's a writer to do?

Posted by danil003 at February 2, 2006 2:09 PM

I, too, am hopeful that a grad student could submit a "new media" research dissertation in some various forms that we may not even anticipate as of yet. I'd support it!

Posted by: Joan at February 3, 2006 12:33 PM

Remember personal info?