Going responsive with Off Canvas

In CEHD we've been trying to figure out how to set up a responsive design that works for our sites for several years. The problem was quite simply that we couldn't figure out where to put everything... our academic departments have a lot of content, and some of it can be a bit wordy. The content needs to be trimmed down, but a "chicken or the egg" problem comes up. People have trouble understanding the problems with too much content until they can see it.

Off canvas allowed us to start a transition to more slimmed down and focused content. Everything can still be fully accessible, but not necessarily on screen all at once, on a mobile device. It also allows people to start really interacting with the content in a mobile arena...

Working towards higher DPI

So I've been working for a while on making higher DPI graphics work on the sites I make. The obvious intial target being iPad screens, though I have no doubt other devices, and laptops will follow. I've been trying to get SVGs to work, but I finally hit the point where I gave up on SVGs (for now) and went with higher resolution PNGs. So I figured I'd write a post about my successes and failures with high DPI...

What is this?

So, this is my blog. It's my attempt at better collaboration.

I work at the University of Minnesota, specifically the College of Education and Human Development. It's one college among many, and I collaborate with a lot of great people across the U of M, so I figured this would be a better way to pass on info to everyone else I'm collaborating with.

That said, I meet a lot of people at conferences who want to know how we're doing X or Y... so I figured I write it up and share the love.

A lot of the posts here will be about making web sites work better for more people. Maybe that's progressive enhancement, responsive design, or accessibility... or something else entirely.

Hope you find it useful.