Is technology good or bad?

As I began watching the Frontline Program titled "Digital Nation" I was both anxious and curious about what it would be about. I watched the previous documentary Frontline has done on technology and it affects on our world today. To see an updated version of what Frontline that about our nation filled with a new world of technology was something I was definitely fascinated about. This program as a work of broadcast journalism is honestly much more intriguing to me than the usual and typical broadcast reporting. Using not only the public, but professionals ideas about technology and the world were living in today is a more attention grabbing strategy of getting societies attention. I would personally enjoy working in broadcast journalism in this sense as opposed to reporting the usual reporting of either local or national news.
In my opinion this program had many more strengths than it did weakness. I really enjoyed how throughout the documentary they showed not only elementary school children are being affected about the digital world, but also the older generations. The program showed us how the older generations are not only shocked, but also block out the new digital world, however, they showed the opposite extreme where the younger generations embraced the idea, and implement it into their own lives. I really enjoyed how they tried to make it a point that multi-tasking does not let anyone perform a task at their best effort. That really struck me because in today's society, on most job applications the job descriptions usually requests for great multi-taskers, however, the program proved that once anyone multi-tasks they tend to do less efficient work. I also like how they presented both perspectives of technology the ones that agreed with it and the ones that disagreed with the amount of technology that is embedded into our lives.
After watching this program I really began to ponder about how everyone in my household and I really implants technology into our lives. I also stopped and wondered how each and every individual in my family was either on their laptop or on a cell phone and completely wired. It really made me question how our family considers spending quality time now as opposed to 10 years ago. I also put into consideration how every time I begin working on an assignment or task, I continuously stopped and decided to go and chat, Facebook, or even reply to an e-mail. The world we live in today really makes me curious as to how it will be in 10-20 years. One thing that really struck me in the entire program and made me ponder was when Prof. Sherry Turkle from the MIT Initiative on Technology and Self said "Technology isn't good or bad, it's powerful, and it's complicated."

This page contains a single entry by darde007 published on March 21, 2010 10:54 PM.

Obama seeks 'new beginning' in Muslim world was the previous entry in this blog.