« Phenomena | Main | Social Design Issue »

opposition/resolution

An opposition that I encounter around me is me myself. The problem has three parts. At this point in my life I’m obviously going to school, I live in a house with some other guys which means I need to pay rent, and on top of that I need a social life. This means I have to balance school, work, and friends (social life). They are all basically opposites of each other because at school or doing homework I can’t be doing work and I can’t socialize with anyone or at least just hang out and shoot the breeze. When I’m at work I can’t do homework and I can’t really go out anywhere to talk with friends, I’m stuck at wherever and working with whomever is around me.

The two most important things I have to work around would be school and work. I need these two in order to get what I want for my future. Priority number one is school, I need enough time to go to classes and then do my homework. Therefore I schedule my work around school and only work as much time as I can so I have time for homework.

School and work are a need. They take up almost all the time I’ve got in a week. A social life seems more of a want. It’s possible to do without it, but I don’t like being a loner. My problem is easily solved if all I do is go to school and work. When I throw in the third piece, this is where my problem comes in; I want a social life, but I don’t want to interfere with my two most important subjects.

All work and no play make’s a person go dull
crazy%20man.jpg

There may be a couple ways to solve my problem or my opposition of limited time. One resolution could be to see if I would be able to get enough work in during the week to make the money I need to live in a house while doing enough homework as well; this would leave the weekends open. I may be able to save some homework for the weekends such as readings. This would give me at least weekend nights to socialize.

Another method I could take if I really wanted to be more social would be to use the phone and call people during the week. I could take a half hour to an hour out of some days to call some people. This would mainly depend on if I like talking on the phone or like to be in person.

If all else fails and I realize that I need more time for homework and/or work it would be to just get a girlfriend who is going through the same thing or doesn’t mind not seeing all the time. You could talk on the phone during the weekdays leaving plenty of time for school and work. Then when the weekends roll around, if there is some spare time, hang out and have a good time with them for as long as you can. This way you won’t be a loner and you won’t let down a group of friends that always want to hang out with you.

Time is my limiting factor for this sort of problem, the more time I have the more of a social life I will have. The less time I have the more isolated I’ll get. In my case with as little time I have to spare I would probably try to find that one girl, because it’s better to have somebody than nobody. It’s too boring being a loner.

Isolation can make you go nuts
IMG_0004.JPG