« Myspace breeds homogenization | Main | The neurochemistry of engagement »

Students are the efficiency experts

I attended half of the S.C.O.P.E. (Student Committee on Public Engagement) Summit today and had a really good discussion. One of the best things to come out of it for me was this idea that undergraduates need to realize that the university wouldn't exist if it weren't for them. They are the university, and therefore they have power. And the administration needs to realize that the students are the experts on the issue of education. The parallel I thought of is with corporate efficiency. In other countries, at least, people are catching on that the people who do the actual work may be the best people to come up with ideas on how to make the work go more efficiently. I think the same holds true for students. They know every strength and flaw of the education system, but they have few channels to make changes or even convey the information.