Most-feared large mammals

1. Grizzly bear

2. Moose

3. Bison

4. Cougar

5. Black bear

(The moose was elevated during my recent trip to Wyoming. I hadn't realized they were so ornery. I have yet to run into a black bear on foot, but I'm molified by the stories I hear of how unornery they are. Bison are up there I think because of the horns, like moose.)

Top 10 Shows of 2006

Well, it wasn't the best year for shows, simply meaning that I didn't get out enough, what with finishing up school and working nights part of the fall, but I'm hoping to do a lot better this year, as long as my growing obsession with neighborhood committee meetings doesn't get in the way.

1. Robert f*ing Pollard at First Avenue, March 30
(First Ave.'s website read: "Doors for Ritmo Caliente will open at 9pm, but Ritmo Caliente will not begin until Robert Pollard has left the stage." Those poor Ritmo Caliente folks...)

2. Traditional Methods live score for Tabu, A Story of the South Seas at the Bash at the Bell, New Year's

3. Ouija Radio, Awesome Car Fun Maker, Birthday Suits, Screamin Cyn Cyn and the Pons, Fort Wilson Riot, and Sleeping in the Aviary at the Hexagon Bar, April 29

4. Malachi Constant and Arctic Universe at the Turf Club, New Year's

5. Skoal Kodiak at, May 10

6. Thee Silver Mt. Zion at The Varsity, August 7

(When the world is sick, can't no one be well. But I dreamt we was all beautiful and strong.)

7. Michael Yonkers, The Blind Shake, and Skoal Kodiak at the Turf Club, February 12

8. Superchunk at Antone's (Austin, TX), March 18

9. Spirit Tuck plus two at The Baltic Room (Seattle, WA), July 30

10. Militant Babies and Grand Champeen at The Hole in the Wall (Austin, TX), May 26

January Rift Article

I just discovered that the article Todd and I wrote for the January Rift Magazine has made it's way onto the internet! I'm not sure if I should be happy about this, as I've already gotten myself in trouble for my "Top 8 Sexiest Musicians Seen Live" list because: a) I've bumped into people at shows whose boyfriends were on it, and b) Two of the people on it are not of legal age. I would like to note that although my name for some reason appeared specifically at the top of that one list, the entire article was a collaboration. I've got the Mallman interview on tape, if anyone wants to hear some sixth-grade radio.

This American Life Favorites

(This American Life is a radio program out of WBEZ in Chicago, broadcast around the country on NPR. It airs at 3pm Saturday and 8pm Sunday on 91.1FM in Minnesota. You will need to download RealPlayer to listen to these, but it's worth it! The links below will take you to the beginning of the show, not necessarily the act I've mentioned. Also check out any of the episodes on This American's Life's "Our Favorites" link.)

NOTE: They've changed their website and the links below no longer work. I will try to update them soon, but in the meantime, you can still search from them on their site.

Funny:

1. "Squirrel Cop", from First Day

2. "My Friend the Extremist" by Jon Ronson, from Them

3. "The Spy Who Loved Everyone" by Improv Everywhere, from Mind Games

4. "Brooklyn Archipelago" by Brett Martin, from In the Shadow of the City

5. "Hearing" by Jack Hitt, from Mapping

6. "Stay in Touch" by Tami Sagher, from How to Win Friends and Influence People

7. "Laws Concerning Food and Drink; Household Principles; Lamentations of the Father" by by Ian Frazier from You Gonna Eat That?

8. "Don't They Know It's Christmas After All" by David Sedaris, from Them

9. "You Come and Go, The Waiters Remain" by Geoff Dyer, from We Didn't

Serious:

1. "Tell It to the Void" by Miriam Toews, from Missing Parents' Bureau

2. Other People's Mail (entire show)

3. The House on Loon Lake by Alex Beckman

4. Running After Antelope by Scott Carrier (and anything else by him)

5. "Whatever Happened to Baby Cain?" by Jonathan Goldstein, from Brother's Keeper

6. Hitler's Yacht by Alix Spiegel

7. "The Family That Flees Together, Trees Together" from American Limbo

8. "The Disappearance" by Genevieve Jurgensen, from Where Words Fail

9. "Don't Drive Like My Brother" by Jonathan Menjivar, from Backed Into a Corner

10. "The Accursed Items" by J. Robert Lennon, from Plan B

11. "Age of Enchantment" by Lawrence Weschler, from Father's Day '99