Extra Credit: Article Analysis

The article I chose is called, Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw's queer post feminism by, Jane Gerhard. I decided to use this particular article because we have already discussed Sex and The City and feminism in another article for class. Since the class has already discussed many realms of feminism already, I figured this article would be a good fit. I decided to relate this article to two different articles from class, the first one I am going to talk about is, Postfeminist Media Culture by, Rosalind Gill and the second article, Rereading Sex and The City, by Rebecca Brasfield.
A summary of the article, the author focuses on two trends throughout, post-feminism and queerness that is featured heavily in Sex and The City. I am first going to talk about post-feminism featured in the article and how it relates to the Gill article. According Gerhard, "In many ways obvious and subtle, the series, explores the meaning of women's sexuality in the wake of the social and cultural achievements of 2nd wave feminism. For post-feminists like Carrie and her friends...Women, if they so choose can work, talk, and have sex, "like men" while still maintaining all the privileges associated with being an attractive woman." I think this relates to the Gill article because, Gill talks about how women in the media are portrayed as active and desiring sexual objects, who showcase themselves as that way because of their neoliberalism ideology. The women in Sex and The City are able to basically think like a man sexually, yet behave like a woman in the real world, in the sense of the way the dress and represent themselves to the public. The women are not being sexually objective by men; however they are freely conveying themselves as sexual objects, by their own choice and empowerment.
Gerhard also brings up sex relationship between all four women. She states, "these women are shown enjoying intercourse in an array of positions with numerous partners....They love feeling desirable." I think that correlates with Gill because she talks about again women themselves want to be portrayed as desirable sexual objects to men. Also, they also do this as a way to "please themselves." I think how they talk about sex in a manner that's very overt relates to Gill, in the fact they are being individuals who are empowering themselves.
The second trend Gerhard talks about is queerness and how that is represented within Sex and The City, and how it ties in to heterosexuality. In the article Gerhard describes "queerness" as "narratives, images, and plot structures that can be read as queer, whether or not the characters identified themselves as queer" One of the main focal points the author brings up about queerness and heterosexuality, are the friendships between all of the women. Carrie finds satisfaction after a failed relationship with her "committed friendships" between her friends. These female relationships amongst each other are more valued than the heterosexual relationships within the show. "The world of love and ritual the four friends create for them allows for the series exploration of female heterosexuality to go forward without marking the women as homosexuals.
How this relates to the Brasfield article, in regards to queerness and heterosexuality, Brasfield mentions, how the series exploits all non-heterosexual orientations, LGBT are portrayed as marginalize groups. It show reiterates heterosexuality has dominate sexuality, because just how Gerhard says the love the four friends create, is a far as the women having sexual relationship with another. The show hints at a possibility of homosexuality but ultimately, showcasing the women as heterosexuals. Even when Samantha has her "lesbian phase" she ends up dating men soon after and the viewer forgets she was once bisexual. I think Gerhard and Brasfield have completely different viewpoints. Because Gerhard applauds the series for the sexual identity tension possibilities within the sisterhood of the four friends, while Brasfield thinks Sex and The City exploits heterosexuality as the dominant sexuality and merely skims the presence of another dominant sexuality.

It's important to think through post-feminism as a type of false sexual liberation. Acc. to Gill women are being objectified in the media under the illusion that it is empowering and equal.

So, the fact that the Fab 4 are sexually open and desiring is not an issue in, and of, itself. Are they being exploited while believing they are in control?