Take-Home Blog Entry/Final Quiz

The article or reading that had the greatest influence on me during this class period was the article "Postfeminist Media Culture" by Rosalind Gill. Obviously, I used it in both my Unit 2 paper and my final paper, so it did have quite an affect on me. Even while reading the article, I became immediately energized. Each page made me nod my head more and more. Finally! Someone who got me, and she wasn't even trying to get me. She was just writing a scholarly article, but somehow Gill was able to speak directly to me.

For the past few years I've felt like there's been an obvious change in the mentality surrounding postfeminism. It's not just objectification anymore, like Gill said. It's subjectification. I've only ever had one boyfriend, so my perception of sexuality in romantic relationships - or sexuality in general - has been pretty skewed. Gill talks about how women have been transformed from sexual object to desiring sexual subject - "The sexually autonomous heterosexual young woman who plays with her sexual power and is always up for it." Gill nailed it right on the head for me. Exactly!

For most of my young adult life, I've felt like I had to be "on" all the time. Constantly ready to get down and dirty. That's what it meant to be a powerfully free young woman, right? No. I didn't get it, didn't want to get it, but felt that I had to. "Of course I'd be up for that because I'm confident in who I am." Ha. In my mind, Gill is 100% right, through and through. It has been hammered in that it is normal for boys and young men to fantasize over crazy porn-star women because it is normal for girls and young women to be sexually eager subjects ready for some sheet tousling at the drop of a hat.

Lauren,

The Postfeminist Media Culture article is also the one that influenced me the most! I was the discussion leader for that article and I used it on my unit 2 paper as well. I had a lot to say about that article. I agree with you that Gill had a lot of great insight on the topic, things that I had not even thought of previously plus many things that definitely related to me in numerous ways. I really like your last sentence, "It has been hammered in that it is normal for boys and young men to fantasize over crazy porn-star women because it is normal for girls and young women to be sexually eager subjects ready for some sheet tousling at the drop of a hat." YES! Well said.

-Mari

Oh lord, I have to say the whole topic of porn could be discussed for days on end. I wanted to respond specifically to that because I love how women in the industry can sometimes find it "empowering." My body is my weapon etc. etc. Now if you think about it, really, women in porn are lighted, make-uped (if that is a word), and photoshopped till they look almost unreal the classic bad teacher or pizza delivery mess up are just ridiculous. It isn't only detrimental to the women but the viewers as well, people come to expect certain things in relationships or certain things to be normal that are quite impossible for anyone but uh... umm... professionals? (I think.) to perform. It is this bullshit standard that makes normal beautiful women somehow less "perfect." Pornography for both sexes ruins the perception of women to men and men to women and it ruins it for themselves as well. TL;DR, porn makes me mad.