Nintendo DS video player

I've created a project for my ffmpeg-based Nintendo DS video player at Sourceforge. I just got done uploading the source to CVS. Right now the source is in a state where it's not really playing videos, so don't bother running it on any actual DS hardware, but if you're interested the source is there to view. I'd be thrilled if anyone wanted to help me out with this project, but I'm really just posting this so I can put it out there which will hopefully motivate me to get it working.

Sorry I'm requiring registration to post on this blog. It's become infested with spammers. I'll read and respond to the posts on the Livejournal feed and, come on, registration isn't so horrible. ;)

Phoenix Wright

Just a quick update -- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney was recently reprinted and copies are apparently still in stores. Be sure to pick up a copy if you haven't already.

Universal Turing .... spreadsheet?

I still don't think spreadsheets should count as Turing complete since they require the user to intervene to execute the machine if the tape isn't long enough or there aren't enough iterations represented. But I still think this is pretty funny.

By the way, Google Spreadsheets is so much better than Editgrid. Aside from macro support (which obviously isn't forthcoming) and a few other minor features, Google's effort is just about as close as you can get to a usable Web 2.0 AJAX (*violent dry-heave*) spreadsheet.

P.S. if you're reading this in Livejournal you'll have to go to my blog to view it since LJ doesn't like iframes. Just click the link at the begining of this entry.

Wikipedia

I rewrote almost the entire Phoenix Wright article on Wikipedia (except for the character bios section, which I am attempting to annihilate in a war of attrition). I dunno what it is about Wikipedia, but editing it is so damn addictive. I usually don't even like writing that much.

Shakespeare

Enter Viola and Feste, the Fool, playing a tabor.
VIOLA
Save thee, friend, and thy music. Dost thou live by thy tabor?
FOOL
No, sir, I live by the church.
VIOLA
Art thou a churchman?
FOOL
No such matter sir. I do live by the church, for I do live at my house, and my house doth stand by the church.

It was announced at E3 that the sequel to Phoenix Wright is going to be localized and released early next year. Very happy about that, but I wish it wouldn't have taken so long. They really should have started the translation when it was clear that PW was a big seller here in America; that is: last year. I've found a renewed love for adventure games, as long as they're for a handheld system. Trace Memory is also a good one. Well, it would be good if it wasn't so short and easy.

For those interested, there's a partially finished fan translation available of the GBA version of the third game in the series. The translation isn't so great, and it's only for one short case, but it's probably the most notable case in the entire series. I won't spoil it, but it features probably the series' most ... colorful villian in it. And that's in a series that definitely doesn't want for lack of colorful villians.

Veronica Mars season finale was fantastic. Next season apparently will consist of a few shorter mystery arcs instead of one long mystery. I think that format will suit the show much better. I still haven't finished FMA. I'm on the last series, then the movie.

I'm alive

I really should be more vigilant when it comes to keeping this thing updated. I should have some more substantial stuff to put here in a couple weeks, at least. I hope the school lets you keep your blog after you graduate -- I think they do. Anyway, I'm graduating in a couple weeks, assuming I don't fail any important classes.

I might be a little late on the bandwagon on this, but Fullmetal Alchemist is fantastic. Though I ordinarily don't like anime that much, FMA transcends the style for me: excellent plotting, characterization, and a fully-realized world (well, at least more fully-realized than most fictional settings in western television), not too much of the typical anime misogynism, and a competent dub -- the kid who plays Alphonse Elrich is particularly good. Highly recommended.

I've been busy playing stolen games on a newly-attained flash cart for my DS, as well as watching movies on it during my commute to school. Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center are both pretty good and very original games that I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for something different. I've also been working on some DS homebrew software, which is quite a lot of fun.

I just installed Win XP: Media Center Edition on the shared computer. It comes with a program called "Windows Dancer", which displays an animated person on the desktop which dances when you play music. Why has this not been mercilessly mocked on all the tech sites across all of the Internets? Why am I just finding out about this now? Whiskey tango foxtrot, Internet? I can only assume that there's been some sort of massive coverup campaign of threats and intimidation on Microsoft's part to keep this thing under wraps.

To the tune of "the Alphabet Song"

First verse:

Space bang quote hash dol'r sign percent
Ampersand right quote left paren right paren
Ast'risk, plus,
Comma, hyphen,
Period, slash,
0 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 colon semi-colon left-angle-bracket
Equal sign right-angle-bracket question mark at.

Second verse:

A B C D E F G
H I J K L M N O P
Q R S
T U V
W X
Y and Z
Left bracket backslash right bracket caret
Underscore left-quote a b c d e

Third verse:

f g h i j k l
m n o p q r s t
u v w
x y z
Left brace pipe symbol right brace tilde
Now I know my ascii table
Next time won't you sing with me

They should totally teach my version in kindergarten.

Stay tuned for the Unicode version, except that one has a few more verses.

Javascript drawing program

That's right, a drawing program written entirely in Javascript/DHTML. This is only a very early version. The final program is intended to be used to create "favicons", those little icons that sometimes appear in the address bar when you visit a webpage, and also in your bookmarks. The program should eventually support palette manipulation, hopefully will support image preview, and I've got an idea on how to support saving files to disk, but I'm not sure if it will work it definitely won't work.

I developed it using IE 6 and Firefox 1.0.7, both for Windows. I'd be absolutely shocked if it works in any other browser, but even so, if it doesn't work in your browser, let me know your browser version and OS.

Using it is pretty simple, select foreground and background colors with left and right click, respectively, and left or right click to set pixels to the canvas.

Update: Now saves in Mozilla.

Anyway, without further ado (and if you're viewing this through Livejournal's syndication, you'll have to go to my real blog to see it, as Livejournal doesn't let you post Javascript):

PS: only look at the source if you want to go blind.

Wow

Antarctican dollar

Syndication

Testing CSS.

Testing Javascript:

Testing Java: