Presentation Respone # 9

Primary Education -
Interesting that this group chose Pakistan as their region. No idea that the military had such a big influence on their culture. Under british rule, they said that 14 million were relocated because of their religion!! I could not believe how much money was being funded towards their education program, 265 million, and a 100 mill for the next 5 years. Greg mortenson was an interesting guy. I loved how he designed and made schools for the less fortunate. So far 60 schools, with 24,000 students, amazing!! Overall good job.

Presentation Respone # 8

Broc Blegen & Kelly Berry

I thought they did an excellent job with MDG #8
They presented the information in a stunning yet simple way that wasnt too powerful
The facts were very interesting and the pictures really showed what they were really focusing on
I was surprised by the choice of region; Somalia, and I thought they did a great job in discussing the ways technology could impact that region
Bringing wireless to Somalia would be neat, but how much would that cost? Could we do it for other regions around the world for a cheap amount as well?
Probably one of the neatest things from their presentation had to be the 100 dollar laptop
olpc-full.jpg
It is a very interesting laptop that suits what they were talking about.
Perfect for the goal they were doing and neat how it costs significantly lower than others; I WANT ONE!!
Overall great job guys!!!

Design # 7

aids1.psd
aids2.gif
aids3.psd

Thoughts on a design? #6

Combat HIV/AIDS and Malaris

aids 1.jpg
I thought this was a pretty basic plane jane sample that would work well for our document/presentation packet. It has all your basic features, maybe switch up the color palate to make it more lively.

aids2.jpg
I'm not a fan of the saying but the logo stand out to me and really relates to our goal. The symbol represents the interweaving of these three diseases and what they all have in common, again with the first one probably switch the colors that would be most representative of these diseases

aids3.jpg
I really like Ozyar's lecture on frameworks and clockworks and this image caught my eye, maybe some way be able to show how these diseases were brought about in a way that a framework and a clockwork distinguishes the object it is working for

aids4.jpg
In order to catch someone's eye i believe this image did that quite well, maybe not have the planes in the bacground but that image of something coming out of nothing in the way HIV comes from the tiniest virus but impacts your immune system which leads to your entire body

aids5.jpg
This is more of a post modern look and i think if we were to create a pamphlet or brochure this is definetly the way i would love to see our document laid out. The bold letters relates to the importance it is trying to bring to its audience and i think with our goal we can make that quite clear

aids6.jpg
Thisone i especially love. I really do not think about AIDS that much and this image says it all. If we replaced HIV or AIDS or Malaria and how it blends into the background as if you can not notice it or even see it says a powerful statement. That we dont really notice the effect that these diseases have and some of us look at them with a blind eye

aids7.jpg
And this one sums it all up. I think on the back of a cover for our document would be perfect with the statement: Where now? The image of the sky seen through someones eye looks up at the sky and wonders where is that plane going and what is it going to do next. Maybe have aids disenegrate in the sky with the clouds to show where is it going and what can we do now to prevent these diseases

(All info from Graphics mag.)

Have, Want, Need: The three amigos?

Quite possibly my favortie movie, Boiler Room, makes an absolutely great comparison to the world of architecture. Many do not realize it because this movie is mainly focused around making money. In his first speech he talks about working your butt off. Pikers are the ones who want time off, there is no such thing as time off in the world of architecture as some students think like that in this class. The way the firm is set up is just like that of a young aspiring architect; you make little money as you are training, take a test to see if you are ready for the big leagues, work on a team for your leader, and then the skies the limit. His second speech his probably one of my favorites of all time. Dress as if you own the place, make a statement by the way you dress. Come prepared to this class, be professional in doing so, dont come to architecture classes in sweatpants, or gym shorts, what does that say about what you want to become as an architect and its true. Dress to impress! If your client walks into your firm, are you going to look like a basketball player or a millionaire? I think you get the idea. And lastly, now how to push yourself, close the deal. If you are not able to finish the final deal in a project than architecture isnt for you. Ozayr hopefully you can see how this relates to architecture, and if you watch it sorry for the vulgar language in advance!!

To Have? To Need? To Want? What are the differences between these three words based around the realm of architecture? To Have; what does that mean in the school of architecture? People are coming in with this attitude that they HAVE to take this class in order to become an architect, thats not true. You dont have to do anything. Look at Peter Zumthor or Daniel Liebskin, they seem to be fine. Students in this class think they HAVE to be here, that in order to become a succesful architect they have to follow this strict gide lines, not ture. Like my dad always says, you HAVE one shot; the only thing deciding what you do is you and only you. If you think you can be an architect by not coming to this institute than more power to you. So what about the need part. This typically refers to the people who want to succeed in this realm of architecture but who do not have the passion for the profession. People are always needing things which is totally fine. How you need these things influence how they depict you as a person. So what about the want part? To want something totally depicts who you are and how society looks at you as a whole. If Ozayr was to ask me what i should take from this class is that i WANT to take this class, i want to be the vey best, i want to be the next FLW, i want to have the best education possible and if by taking this class that will allow me then hell yes, give me the whole part, i want to take these classes to become succesful, im not trying to float through this institute i want the most from this experience. You can tell who wants to be here and who has to be here, its all in their voice. Im want people to read this and ask themself is this kid real? "I think im better than this kid". Thats exactly what i WANT, i want competition, i want to be pushed to the limits, show me i want this education and i am not trying to skate through this play daze. Ozayr, if your looking for the most passionate in the class just simply read peoples blogs and you can hear their voice coming through the blog, question is....Do you want, have, or need to be teaching here?

Are you kidding me, KNEX IT!!!!

One of the greatest movie speeches of all time; Al Pacino delivers an awesome speech about how winning is by teamwork and taking life inch by inch. Thats what i am doing right now and goes along with this blog. You can't do everything by yourself and you will always, always, need teamwork and this speech sums it up, enjoy

Part of every kids life growing up they have a favorite toy, mine was KNEX, this stuff was awesome and could possibly make anything. If i never had to attend architecture school i would as a architect use this stuff for sure. Are you kidding me, this stuff is the bomb. No if you are a lego fan, boo, i hate you and im sorry your life consisted of rectangles. KNEX buildings would be so sweet, the structures would be easily recognized and our buildings would be more colorful!!! Can you see Falling Water being made out of KNEX? This stuff is the bomb and we should consider using this as a material. The support in anything you make is unreal and we should implement that in our new designs. How would that impact the environment? Less metal and more plastic, um, who doesnt want that?

Here are a few examples to leave you in wonder: All could help impact the environment

knex.jpg

knex-scaffolding-and-david-s.jpg

Just a coincidence?

Does Ozayr look like King Leonidas without glasses or what? Hopefully i am not the only that sees this...

300.jpg 300 2.jpg

Would you rather have everything you touch automatically runs away from you OR every morning be mercilessly pooped on by a huge sloppy dog?

?????????????

Propose a set of images, quotes and a playlist of songs that influence your values with
regard to your selected Research Project Millenium Development Goals.

I cant remember my top 3 but i can think of one that burns a image in my mind....

Quite possibly one of the greatest speeches ever!!!!! Jimmy V was an inspirational man and had more passion than anyother person. He talks about his cancer research; and how it has taken over his body and how he does not have that much time left. This speech took balls and he delivered, listen and enjoy the greatest speech in the world:

Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger
hunger.jpg
hunger map.jpg
stand.jpg

All of these images symbolize the problems our world is facing. The mood in each picture burns a image in your mind forever. The last one stands for what we are going to try and accomplish with this project and i can not wait to get started.

comic.jpg

That is all a man needs, a can of beans and a campfire? Why this man, why does he want to live that way?

Quotes are by far one of the most powerful ways to relay information:
-“The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.�
- “A good meal ought to begin with hunger.�
-“As I have said before, the ever more sophisticated weapons piling up in the arsenals of the wealthiest and the mightiest can kill the illiterate, the ill, the poor and the hungry, but they cannot kill ignorance, illness, poverty or hunger� (Fidel Castro)
-"It is important for people to realize that we can make progress against world hunger, that world hunger is not hopeless. The worst enemy is apathy."
-"If you want to eliminate hunger, everybody has to be involved" (Bono) - Pretty much sums up what we need to do as a nation in order to end this "disease". If no one helps and even gives a damn, how can we accomplish anything, let alone progess as a nation. It is just sick to think that people are dying because they are not recieving a plentiful supply of food. Are you kidding me? What is going to happen in the years to come? WE need to start making a progess and it has to happen soon!!!!

Facts:

-Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day. source 1
-The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the poorest 48 nations (i.e. a quarter of the world’s countries) is less than the wealth of the world’s three richest people combined. source 2
-Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. source 3
-Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen. source 4
-51 percent of the world’s 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations. source 5
-The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation. source 6
-The poorer the country, the more likely it is that debt repayments are being extracted directly from people who neither contracted the loans nor received any of the money. source 7
-20% of the population in the developed nations, consume 86% of the world’s goods. source 8
-The top fifth of the world’s people in the richest countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign direct investment — the bottom fifth, barely more than 1%. source 9
-“Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific.�
-Close to half of all people in developing countries suffering at any given time from a health problem caused by water and sanitation deficits
-Number of children in the world
2.2 billion
Number in poverty
1 billion (every second child)

Let those facts sink in for a bit.....

144626-Making-Poverty-History-1.jpg

So, what now?

Feb. 18

No one there, President's day, bummer!!

Am I the only one who has no idea what is going on in this class? - No offense Salooj, You are a great guy

Alright so I am basically confused on what the hell is going on in this class. We watch movies about how a guy can turn some nature crap into, i guess somewhat timewasting, artwork, and then be proud of it. We read some articles about JFK's speech. I can see how is words help us understand self determination and hardwork, but what about the physical part of architecture. I mean DF1 was a joke and everyone knows it. Lets see how good we are in doing 5th grade arts and crafts projects. If Leslie didn't like it, faced it, you got a C in the class. It was way to subjective and everyonecan agree that someone in their group did awful projects but still got a better grade in their discussion. I could not see how anyone of those projects helped us to be architects. Everyday object into something else, sounds like an inventor or engineer. Um lets see, photograph collage. Are you kidding me, who the hell wants to cut strips of photograph paper, everyone knows what a section - plan view is, if they didn't why are they in the architecture field. The only one that came close to being somewhat legit was the game. My TA,wont mention any names, said nothing at all during my presentation, then at the end he totally bashed it. I talked to my "Client", and he said they did not care or even more want it to be colorful, just so that the idea and education part of it was good. And i did that with no partner, he loved the game and they are currently using it, but you have a grad student who looks at i ad says you put no effort, no design, THEY DIDNT CARE, i am not going to waste money on a game they dont care about color wise. The educational part of it was awesome and my TA look right passed it. I absolutely hate how critical these people are. Do they have someone up their but? I know the saying, if you can't take critisicm then dont become an architect, but my goodness, that class absolutely drove me in the wrong direction. I took classes in high school an absolutely loved them. I come here and its almost the opposite. Why is that? Only 5% of the houses being made today are done by architects. Who gives a shit? I'll be the next 1% to change that. I hear that same damn quote evey class. Do you guys honestly think we can't be that good? You keep saying this in a way that drives me insane. Why did I come to this institution for architecture? If i'd known that this program entiltled you of absolutely destroying our dreams i would have stuck with my other choices, but i came to this school for MY degree. Leslie said in the very first lecture last year that their are only 10 world renown architects and that are chances of being one of them are highly unlikely. Thank you Leslie for ruining my dream, but guess what, just to prove this institution wrong, i will be one of those 10 greatest architects and you can guarentee your salary on it. The fact that i can't take critisicm or make a paper jacket only pushes me farther to suceed. So that saying goes the professor is working for you, bull shit, im working for myself, i feel i almost wasted money coming to this university. You can laugh while you read this, thats fine but i know i have the most passion in this entire class to become the next big architect. Sure someone can write a great blog or make a unique paper jacket, but a pencil in their hand and see if they can draw, design a floor plan, draw section details, stairs, elevations, now who's laughing? You mean to tell me that the same person who has the highest grade in the class is going to be one of the best students in the program, what about the kids at the bottom end, the ones who think are worthy of a C. Do you think they can draw, passion, they are probably thinking the same thing i am. I got a B+ in DF1, i am not afraid to say it. I think is bull crap you have to choose who to let in to the Design Program based on two subjective classes, wow great program!!!!!
Ok Salooj, let me put you in my shoes. I apply to the university with a 3.8 gpa, 121 out of 600 kids in my class rank, took all arch classes in high school, won metro wide awards for each class......the list goes on, did not even get accepted to the program for architecture in CLA, why, was my ACT score to low, was it because i was from Nebraska?, who knows, but a kid who sat next to me each day, who had no idea what a cantilever was, never took any classes in high school, and thought, THOUGHT, it would be a fun major. And you're telling me i didn't get accepted, lol. Anyways...so the first day you sit in your very first arch class, excited, ready to go, and the first couple of words from your professor goes like this........"Hello, welcome, i first want to say thanks for coming to the U of M, i hope all of you will enjoy your stay here, i want to make a quick note that i know all of you plan on being an architect some day but you ARE PROBABLY NOT going to be a successful architect like the many you all admire, it MIGHT but probably wont....." What would you do after hearing something like that after you just completed four years of what you wanted to do for the rest of your life, it sucked hearing those words didn't it? So if you can change this whole misconception on what architecture is really about for me Salooj you would be the man. This isn't a pity letter to be accepted to the program but just my thoughts on how bogus this stuff really means to me.

confused.jpg

So social design issues in Minneapolis, you already have me lost. When you say social design issue, do you make a social issues in the Minneapolis region that some one has took the initiative to design for? Or it could also mean a builiding that was designed with social issues in mind? Or a building that has many soical design issues?
Where to start? I can answer thefirst question becaused i volunteered for this place last semester for the awful DF 1 class. I absolutely love this place and I am currently volunteering for this place as i am writing this grousemly long blog, but oh well you have to read it anyway.
The place i am talking about is PYC or Plymouth Youth Center

pyc.jpg

The building itself is an architectural masterpiece. The architect or firm who designed it should be applauded. The way the used the space effectively is amazing and there is always natural light seeking in through any window. So why is this building under a social design issue? The whole emphasis behind this building was to give teens an education who really struggled with their cirriculum at high school. They have a smaller class size so teachers and students can have a more in depth talk about their current education. I think it was an awesome job that people created this orginization for this teens. It gives them a chance to graduate with a high school degree without facing the troubles of dropping out. The teachers and staff care for their students here and want each one of them to succeed and they do a tremendous job. They also do a afterschool enrichment program for high schoolers and teens for us students to help with their homework, problems they have, or anything. To have volunteers come here every week to help with elementary kids with the homework is awesome.

giving_joy.jpg

The kids absolutely love the help and they definetly show it. This orginization, i feel, should promote its ideas to other local neighborhoods. Am i an advocate for this orginization, you bet your ass I will.
There is no greater accomplishment then graduating with an education and this program does a remarkable job, thanks for your hardwork guys. You can be the world's best basketball player, but not have an education. After basketball then what, oh forgot about that didn't you?

bLoG pRoMpT # 1

glass3.jpg

bLoG pRoMpT #1

"inspired by Andy Goldsworthy (and our discussions today), document and investigate,
through text and image - this idea of energy, flow and transformation through the city."......:

Well there are many ways we can approach this answer and since this class is open to many ideas i am going to discuss what i think may be a way we, ourselves, do not even notice. Many students will come up with answers that may be right or have no significance to this class at all, but mine maybe one of those that is lingering in the back of your mind. The way we look at energy flow and transformation through the city could be altered into a question. Why is there this energy flow and why is it transforming? One of the key answers to the question is people. We could argue that there are unatural forces that drive this investigation when really the answer could be us. The way text and images are display on these buildings are causing us to look at them. These glass skyscrapes, towers. hotels, convention centers are not made to look pretty but rather to engage our emotion. One of the many ways people get around towns is by locating these structures that impact their daily lives. Street signs are the basic example of how text is utilized in cities. We recall street names, names of buildings, car symbols, anything that has a signicant importance for our flow through the city. The way buildings are mostly made of glass and their transformation these days could help impact our travel through the city. If we are walking downtown and look to our right into a large facade of glass, we see ourselves walking down the street and not some force. Buildings help guide us to our destinations, they are placed where they are to help us with navigation; the way sunlight reflects off the facade could indicate a sense of direction. Buildings are being transformed by these simple forces that guide us through cities and small towns. If we look at this question in this way we could say that people could have an impact on how text and image is utilized in our towns.