Friends and Admirers

5 Replies

• user-pic

We will miss you, Gary. You were a great inspiration and teacher for Dave and a friend to both of us. Our two daughters, Anna and Emmy, remember you with much fondness from Dave’s days in the senate. Rest in peace.

• user-pic

Gary was one of just two Senators who left in 1992 that I was sorry to see leave. Our paths continued to cross with his work in transportation and at the Humphrey School. All my memories of him are pleasant. What a rare politician, what a great teacher.
    Carol Flynn

• user-pic

Our heart is with Gary's family during this very hard time. Our daughter Sylvana worked at Camp UniStar with Katie, who possesses her father's kindness and thoughtfulness. Vaughn had the pleasure of serving Camp UniStar with Gary and was always struck by his careful consideration of the issues, insight and kind treatment of everyone. He will be greatly missed, love and hugs to all of you.

Asselstine Tunesi Family

• user-pic

Gary was one of the kindest people I have met through this journey we call life, He was passionate about his causes and a rare academic; to know him was to love him.

He had a personal infinity for Native American history and culture and educated me with his vast knowledge - our last close conversation was in the Atrium at Humphrey School listen to the Native Drummers from Nawayee Center School.

I am just at a loss for words right now - but know that I have lost a true friend in the physical form - but his wisdom and knowledge will carry on...

Linda McFarland

• user-pic

While I am a Humphrey Institute grad, my familiarity with Gary and his work comes more from my time on legislative staff when Gary was a state senator from Southwestern Minnesota. Gary wasn't someone who chased headlines or had a press conference every time something popped into his head. Instead, he was a legislator who worked diligently and steadily on policies that made Minnesota a better place for all of its citizens. He was especially a tireless advocate for rural school districts. My deepest and heartfelt condolences to Estelle, his daughters, and the rest of his family.

Gary DeCramer, a senior lecturer and director of the mid-career Master of Public Affairs (MPA) program, died suddenly on March 7, 2012, while on a trip to Morris, Minnesota. He was 67.

DeCramer joined the Humphrey School in 1992. Before leading the MPA program and teaching courses on leadership, DeCramer served as a state senator representing the southwestern region of Minnesota, as state director of USDA Rural Development, principal planning analyst for Hennepin County's Office of Planning and Development, senior fellow in the Humphrey School's State and Local Policy Program and the University of Minnesota's Center for Transportation Studies, and interim president of Southwest State University in Marshall, Minnesota.

We welcome all to leave memories or condolences in the respective category, as we all mourn this tremendous loss.

Please e-mail hhhevent@umn.edu with any questions.

Start a new threaded discussion topic!

Forum Groups