International Fellows

9 Replies

• user-pic

My dear Fellows

I am still reeling from the shock of Gary's death - It is very difficult to imagine life here at the Humphrey with out him - he was such a rock for you all. I lost a dear dear friend and colleague, I loved him because he loved every one of you and took such joy in all your accomplishments. He had planned to visit you all as soon as he retired. I feel such a deep loss for myself and for you as he was always so supportive to you and for the new fellows who will not get a chance to meet such a wonderful mentor and spiritual leader.

- Sudha

• You are right, Sudha. Gary was really supportive to all international fellows with his great sense of diversity and it is saddening us that we cannot see his gentle smile any more. I wish we all could wisely overcome this sadness and fulfill Gary's idea on public affairs.

• Indeed, Gary, even hadn't taught to me personally, but always stays in my memory as a very active participant of most of Humphrey events. He was always curious if the we were getting from the program what we want, if we, being far away from home, still feel like home here.... He was also curious of the processes in our countries and always followed all the related news. He was the one who sent me 11 pages of scanned Newyorker with article and pics about Kazakhstani capital... Wish he could have come to see it with his own eyes...
    He was very smart, gentle and smiling. And I will remember him exactly as he's shown on this photo in this blog :) in this shirt and tie, glasses and smile :))
    Thank you for all you contributions, all your efforts and care, Gary. Rest in peace....

• May Rest In Peace.
    Gary was a kind and gentle man.
    The good memory with him will stay with me for long long time.
    Bless on his soul.

Jin

• user-pic

This is really unbelievable news.
    This is a big loss for the Humphrey school, especially for us International Fellows as he was one of the Professors who really understood International arena. He really loved to work with his students. I remember how much I enjoyed to participate in his class and observed how true, sincere, kind, lovely and honest he was. I usually thought he is from my country as he could feel so much all those problems of my country and we discussed for long hours what we can do as the future "change agents". I am sure the same feeling had my other fellows. He always inspired us, taught us to be a real change makers of our countries.He has been a great mentor for me. Last days i saw some of his pictures taken with me and I remembered all those great things he taught us. He will be always in my memory.

I will pray for his soul. Let his soul be in peace.

• user-pic

Dear fellows…
    I was devastated to know about the unfortunate and untimely demise of Gary DeCramer. I am still finding it difficult to accept this. How can this happen to a man like Mr. DeCramer? HE is also unfair sometimes. I still remember his face so well, nice and pleasant personality, always a smile on his face and always ready to help others. In fact he was one of the best memories of UoM, I carried along. I also remember him as a very good tutor as he was able to conduct his sessions so smoothly involving everyone in the discussion.
    A very very sad news indeed. I feel so bad for his family. I pray to The Lord Budha to give them strength to go through this difficult period…..

C. Angrup Bodh

• user-pic

The news of Prof DeCramer's demise came as a blow. There was no inkling that something was wrong with his health.

Gary wore many hats... Teacher, Friend, Guardian, Mentor. Always patient, willing to listen untiringly, with an uncanny ability to gauge what his students were thinking, attending his classes will remain an unforgettable experience. As a teacher he was an enabler, endeavoring to make us learn for ourselves rather than impart something from top-down. It seems like yesterday that he visited India in 2009 and we talked over telephone. Eternal regrets that I missed meeting him in person.

God bless Prof DeCramer. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

Pronab Mohanty

• This news were unexpected for all of us. We have lost a true friend.

Prof. DeCramer was one of the very few people who cared about the contributions that could be made by international students, and always made sure that everyone's voice is heard. I remember him as the Professor who opened the doors of his house to welcome his students from various backgrounds. For me this was a very wonderful experience of cooking, classmates, foreigners, altogether, in a professor's house. Thank you, Prof. DeCramer, for making such moments we could remember and cherish thoughout our lives.

Rest in peace

• Not long ago we exchanged emails and I found him at his usual best- encouraging, supportive and humerous. Indeed it is shocking to know about his sad and sudden demise. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Shahid Iqbal

Gary DeCramer, a senior lecturer and director of the mid-career Master of Public Affairs (MPA) program, died suddenly on March 7, 2012, while on a trip to Morris, Minnesota. He was 67.

DeCramer joined the Humphrey School in 1992. Before leading the MPA program and teaching courses on leadership, DeCramer served as a state senator representing the southwestern region of Minnesota, as state director of USDA Rural Development, principal planning analyst for Hennepin County's Office of Planning and Development, senior fellow in the Humphrey School's State and Local Policy Program and the University of Minnesota's Center for Transportation Studies, and interim president of Southwest State University in Marshall, Minnesota.

We welcome all to leave memories or condolences in the respective category, as we all mourn this tremendous loss.

Please e-mail hhhevent@umn.edu with any questions.

Start a new threaded discussion topic!

Forum Groups