The Amnesiac

Fifth Entry

By Douglas E. Gogerty

Date: Date: 525.3.45

I awoke in a panic this morning. The last thing I remembered was falling asleep in the orchard. I had not slept well for the last couple of nights, and I was tired. Sitting in the sun under a tree was really nice. I did become very relaxed. I found the situation quite nice. It could be as simple as that, but I do not know.

On the other hand, I may have simply lost the events of the afternoon. I have a big gap, and it could be a relapse. However, I remember the last few days in pretty good detail. It is just that most of the day yesterday is a blank. I remember things up to a point, then they all went black. Was it the apple? Did a robot shoot me with a tranquilizer dart? Did I just fall asleep and sleep through the night? That was a great deal of sleep if that is the case. I just do not know what happened.

Nevertheless, I have no memory of getting into bed, but I awoke in the bed. Further, it was morning. So, it makes sense to me to assume that a robot found me under that tree and brought me to the bed. Whatever the case, I spent an unknown number of hours in the bed. It was likely at least 10.

This fact makes me wonder about how I feel. Suddenly, I have a positive view of the robots. I think the bed is there to brainwash me. At least, it is attempting to do so. I suddenly have strong feelings that the robots are here to help. I did not have that feeling before last night. This feeling seems new.

As a matter of fact, I have only known about the robots for a few days. While they have apparently done me no harm, I do not know that for certain. Why would I suddenly have positive feelings for them. It has to be that the bed is having an effect on me. I still do not trust the bed or the robots despite their efforts -- perhaps more so now.

On the other hand, I feel quite rested. I guess sleeping most of the day and through the night would make a person feel that way. I would say I slept longer than one day if it were not the date on this device. I also feel strangely content about my situation. This bed is completely not to be trusted. It is more than just a place to sleep.

After I got out of bed, I checked the house. My stores have been refilled. Yesterday's dishes were washed and stored away. Perhaps I did that in the missing afternoon. I may have visited a storehouse and refilled everything during my missing hours. It does seem odd to forget such mundane events. Furthermore, I have no memory of where such a storehouse would be. It may be that someone or something has been here.

I opened the inner door to look outside. Suddenly, the place is awash with activity. There are robots everywhere. Dozens of them. I do not see any people. There are just robots taking care of several tasks.

One robot has a hose and is watering the plants in my yard. I do not think he saw me. He was busy doing his tasks. Farther out, there was a robot placing a gate to the entrance for the road. There was even traffic on that road. Robot controlled trucks were traveling to and from some unknown location. It was a huge change from the previous day.

After quite a while observing the robots, one headed for my door. It had a basket of fruit. I do not know if it saw me, but I was not taking any chances. I ran into the bedroom and closed the door. I heard it open the door outer door. It clanked and squeaked a bit. After a few moments, I heard the inner door close.

I waited a few minutes before I peaked out. The room was as I left it, but there was a fruit basket on the table. It was like it was feeding time at the zoo. I could not resist the tempting fresh fruit.

The taste was the same as it was the day before -- odd but refreshing. I did not feel the drowsiness that I had the previous day. I thought that was a good sign. At least, it indicated to me that it was fine.

I looked around the house. I thought that if it was feeding time at the zoo, someone should be watching. I did not see anyone. Cameras came to my mind, but I was unable to locate any. I have no recollection of what a camera was or looked like, but for some reason I thought the place was free of them.

The skylight was clear of viewers as well. It was a regular scene of clear sky. There was nothing unusual to my mind. I opened the inner door again. There was still a large amount of activity happening. The gate building robot had finished mine, and moved down the road. The same for the watering robot with its hose connected to a large truck that sat on the road.

There was no way to get out of the house without being noticed. My planned exploration of the neighbor's house would have to wait. I thought about interrogating one of the robots. If it had the ability to communicate, I am not sure if it would answer my questions. Besides, they were busy. It was likely best to let them do their work.

Among all of the activity, I think I saw something different. The robots had precise movements. They were very regular -- in a fashion. Past the grove, there was something that moved differently -- oddly -- irregularly. To me, it looked like some sort of living creature. In addition, it was not a biped. It moved on all fours. It was also bigger than any of the robots I have seen. Was it something alive? Or was it just a different kind of robot. That too would have to wait.

End of Entry