Assignment 1

I began the process of creating an innovative cookie by brainstorming different combinations of ingredients based on my pantry. As I have quite a few different spices, I decided to learn new ways of mixing these spices to start off.

1. Cookies + cupcake form
2. Sweet and spicy
3. Nuts roasted with spices
4. Banana + peanut butter
5. Peanut butter and basil
6. Hazelnuts
7. Food coloring
8. Texture - rice, oatmeal, nuts, cooking temp
9. I wrote a list of all the spices I had and flavor mapped a few of them.

I then started thinking of ways to modify a base cookie recipe I came up with found below:

3 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1 c. butter, 1 c. white sugar, 1 c. brown sugar, and 2 eggs.

1. All white sugar
2. All brown sugar
3. Yogurt instead of eggs
4. Bake at different temperatures
5. Combine different doughs into one cookie
6. Syrup instead of sugar
7. Peanut butter and basil

I then came up with four different methods and flavor combinations to try. Each recipe was baked at different temperatures.

1. 1/4 of base recipe plus: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, pinch of ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 cup coffee, handful of chocolate chips, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
- This combination was tasty; however, the cookie did not spread out on the pan, no matter what temperature it was baked at (400 and 325 degrees F).

2. 1/4 of base recipe plus 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter, 1/2 of a mashed banana, 1.5 T cocoa, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp rosemary, and 1/4 tsp vanilla.
- This combination got one of the best reviews from friends that tried it. The addition of rosemary created an interesting flavor next to the peanut butter. Similar to my first attempt, the cookies did not spread out on the pan and were kind of tough. These were baked at 350 for about 10 minutes.

3. 1/4 base recipe with 1/2 cup shortening instead of butter, all brown sugar (1 cup), 1/4 cup cooked white rice, 1/4 tsp vanilla, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- The result from this cookie was slightly greasy. It spread out quite thin while baking. The texture was interesting with the rice; this one was not bad. Baked at 325 for 9 minutes.

4. 1/4 base recipe with 1/3 cup yogurt instead of eggs. I made a concoction with 1/2 cup hazelnuts, 1 whipped egg white, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp chili powder, dash of salt, and 1/2 tsp vanilla roasted at 200F for an additive to the base recipe.
- This recipe was the favorite. The nuts ended up tasting delicious - the rule of "if a spice is the same color as another, it will probably go together" was true in the case of cinnamon and chili powder. The yogurt in the recipe made the cookies spread out; they also had a smoother texture. Baked at 325 for 9 minutes.
DSC03406.JPG
For my final presentation, I combined #3 and #4 from above. I layered the rice mixture, nuts, and yogurt mixture in the bottom of a muffin tin and first baked it at 300 degrees for close to 20 minutes. The first attempt was a bit of a fail, as the top layer broke off when I tried to remove them from the pan.
DSC03412.JPG
For the next batch, I used muffin liners and placed the nuts on the top instead of the middle, and they turned out well. For the 2nd attempt I raised the oven temperature to 325 and baked them for 17 minutes.
DSC03414.JPG

Final Recipe:
Bottom Layer
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Sift above ingredients.
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cooked white rice
Cream together in order listed, then add dry ingredients and rice.
Middle Layer
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Sift above ingredients.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 tsp vanilla
Cream butter and sugars; add yogurt and vanilla and mix until well blended.
Nuts
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla
Whip egg and vanilla until frothy; dump in nuts and evenly coat.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili powder
dash of salt
Combine above ingredients and add to nut mixture.
Roast at 200 degrees F for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

To assemble cookie, layer accordingly into muffin pan with liner. Bake at 325 degrees F for 17 minutes.

DSC03419.JPG

I really like how you listed your whole process, and how you explained what worked and what didn't. Your final idea seemed really thought-out because of that, and although I didn't have a chance to try your cookie, it definitely seems creative! It would have been nice to give some explanation of why you chose the combinations you did, though, like why you thought basil and cinnamon would be good together. Also, although I liked seeing all the final results, it might have made more sense to see the final results throughout the post, and then shown a larger picture of the winning cookie. Great ideas!

Hanna, these cookies sound terrific.

Thorough Process Documentation

First, your thorough description of your process is informative. It will be useful for students attempting to replicate the cookies at home. The recipe list looks daunting, but with the step-by-step instructions it might be something I'd consider trying.

The Photos

The photos were helpful in seeing how results appeared. A larger image of the final assembled cookie would serve as a guide for others trying the recipe. The final image was a bit confusing because it was not labeled. I think it belongs closer to the top of the page with the initial investigations.

Your Investigation

Your description makes it seem like you are an experienced baker. I thought it was revealing that you said that you looked up new ways of mixing the spices early on. Investigating new methods is a great way to find new delights.

I liked how you started out by working within the constraint of what you could find in your pantry. It wish you would've included a photo of your spice flavor mapping. You came up with a great innovation based on things you already had. The last photo was a great and organized way to show the different things you tried, but I agree that the placement of it is confusing. I think if you added titles for different sections of the process, the blog would be more fluid. Overall good explanation of your process; I wish I would've tried these!