Collapse of...

I read the text of a speech. Here is a link to an article by the same person, which includes the same concepts:
http://www.counterpunch.org/sale02222005.html

Here is an excerpt from the speech, which I couldn't find online:

[You know your empire is collapsing when, according to a poll taken in the fall of 2006 by the Opinion Research Corporation and broadcast by CNN on October 23, 71 percent of your citizens agree that “our system of government is broken and cannot be fixed,� and another 7 percent agree it is broken but “hoped� it could be fixed. Broken and CANNOT be fixed.]

Well it’s not rebellion, thanks to the increasing sweeping and illegal repression of dissent by the Bush regime—leading up to, by the way, the vicious mccarthyistic House Resolution 1955 passed—404 to 5—and sent to the Senate, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act, nothing less than the establishment of thought police to find and jail anybody that thinks unpleasant and subversive thoughts about this nation.

Thanks also, I should note, to the success of the system’s modern version of bread and circuses, a unique combination of entertainment, sports, television, internet sex and games, consumption, drugs, liquor, and religion that has so far successful deadened most of the general public into apathetic stupor.

END OF EXCERPT

The last paragraph reminds me of the Gladiators...