« Turkey Causes Havoc | Main | Structures »

Favre Makes History

According to ESPN Brett Favre set a new record for career touchdown passes by throwing No. 421 Sunday in Green Bay's 23-16 victory over the Minnesota Vikings.

With 4:56 left in the first quarter Favre threw a 16-yard slant to Greg Jennings for the score. Instantly Favre sprinted to the end zone and picked up Jennings and carried him over his shoulder. Favre was then showered with hugs and congratulatory statements from his teammates while the crowd gave him a standing ovation. Even those supporting the Vikings were on their feet.

The game was stopped to honor one of the NFL's best quarterbacks of all-time. A video message was played from the previous record holder, Dan Marino. He stated that he loved holding the record but was glad that someone like Favre was the record breaker due to his level of competitiveness.

The record is yet another accomplishment added to a marvelous career. Brett Farve has appeared in two Super Bowls, winning one of them, was the leagues MVP for three consecutive years, holds the record for most consecutive games started by a quarterback (241), most wins as a starter (151), and most pass attempts (8,394).

Before the end of his career he has the chance to break other records as well. Including the most passing yards, most interceptions, and the most consecutive games started by any NFL player.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Favre still had the team in mind as he approached a personal milestone. "I'm so glad we won the game. There was so much emphasis on this record and not the game itself," he said. "Everyone's like, 'What are you going to do? Are you going to have a big celebration?' Put yourself in my shoes. I want to help this team win. I do not want us to get blindsided by this record and what we're actually here for."