Talks in Mexico and Utah

Last week I was at Mexico's National Laboratory of Genomics for Biodiversiity (Langebio), giving a keynote talk on Darwinian Agriculture and learning about the diverse research program there, from microbial communities to manipulation of ant "bodyguards" by Acacia plants to using yeast to answer fundamental evolutionary questions. I was invited by the grad students, which is always flattering. The chair of the committee, Sergio Campos, wrote that my book, "Agricultura Darwiniana":

"es una lectura imprescindible para aquellos interesados en la problemática de la alimentación mundial bajo un clima cambiante [que] nos ilustra acerca de cómo la biología evolutiva puede aplicarse en la tecnología agrícola y la biotecnología. "

Maybe there will be a Spanish edition someday, although I'd settle for an inexpensive paperback.

On Sunday, June 23, I'll be giving a talk on Darwinian Agriculture, as part of the "Evolution Out of Bounds" symposium at the Evolution 2013 meeting, in Snowbird, Utah. These annual evolution meetings are usually really interesting, as I've discussed previously, and other talks in the symposium range from evolution of disease to evolving robots. Those interested in our evolution-of-multicellularity research should look for the talk by Kristin Jacobsen on Sunday afternoon and the poster presentation by Jenn Pentz Monday evening.