« Explaining the evolutionary persistence of persisters | Main | There are none so blind... »

Evolution 2008 in Minnesota

This year, the Evolution meetings are here in the Twin Cities. Evolution 2008 is a joint meeting of the American Society of Naturalists (not the nudist organization), the Society for the Study of Evolution, and the Society of Systematic Biologists.

A quick search of the program found no references to atheism* or child pornography, but there will be plenty of talks about sex. You could spend all Saturday morning listening to lectures on Plant Mating Systems and all afternoon learning about Sexual Selection. On Sunday morning, if you don't have other plans, there will be talks on the Evolution of Sex from 8-12, among other choices. You have to pay the registration fee that covers the cost of the meeting to attend these talks, but Olivia Judson (author of Dr Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation) will be giving a public lecture:

The Art of Seduction: Evolution, Sex, and the Public
4-5 PM on Sunday June 22
Ted Mann Concert Hall
My students and I will give talks in the Species Interactions and Life History Evolution sessions. I will discuss some of the talks at the meeting in a future post. Before then, I may be a bit sporadic, getting ready for the meeting. Also, both of our latest grant proposals were rejected by NSF -- depending on how you look at it, there are either too many good proposals or not enough money -- leaving us with essentially no funding for our research. So I'll be working on revised proposals due in early July.

*Note to those not in the US or Turkey: religious extremists claim that understanding evolution leads to atheism which then leads to crime. Comparisons among countries appear to support the evolution<=>atheism link but not the atheism=>crime link.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.