« Biofilms as selfish herds | Main | This is a joke, right? »

Join my lab?

I hope to welcome one or possibly two new graduate students in autumn 2010.

As I noted on the Ecology, Evolution and Behavior web page, much of my research can be seen as following up on ideas first discussed by W.D. Hamilton. This includes our work on the evolution of cooperation (Nature 425:78-81) and on longevity-versus-reproduction tradeoffs as a possible explanation for the health benefits of eating low doses of plant toxins (PLoS One 4:e6055). Often, my grad students use crop plants and/or noncharismatic microfauna (bacteria, yeast, etc.), so if aesthetics is more important to you than science, choose a different major professor. I am also interested in agricultural implications of past and ongoing natural selection (Q. Rev. Biol. 2003 and forthcoming book), although I don't currently have any grant funding for this work.

I also accept students in the Plant Biology grad program, which has been unusually generous in financial support for grad students, providing first-year and summer stipends, paying for meeting travel, etc. (Budget cuts could change this.) Also, unlike most Plant Biology programs, their vision extends beyond molecular biology of Arabidopsis, with significant strength in evolution and in legume (especially Medicago) symbiosis. So students interested in plants should consider both programs.

Non-charismatic microfauna. I love it. Am having great conversations with Will at GRC regards rhizobia bet hedging. Best of luck finding more excellent students. JD

Type the characters you see in the picture above.