« Bet-hedging in symbiotic rhizobia from alfalfa nodules | Main | Grad school application deadlines in December »

Applied Evolution Summit video (Heron Island)

Many evolutionary biologists do field work in exciting locations, like the Galapagos. I mostly work in the lab these days -- when I'm not at the computer writing or revising papers -- but I often get invited to speak at meetings in interesting places. For example, I'll be talking about Darwinian agriculture in Paris in December, at the EUCARPIA meeting on plant breeding for organic farming.

But it's hard to beat Heron Island, Australia, where I spoke at the Applied Evolution Summit in January. The scientific output from our discussions will be coming out in Evolutionary Applications, but if you like sea turtles, birds, and coral reefs with your science...

Here's a beautiful video about the meeting.

turtle.JPG
Casuarina, a tree that hosts nitrogen-fixing bacteria not closely related to those that form symbioses with legumes, frames a sea turtle laying eggs, on Heron Island. Photo by R. Ford Denison.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.