« This week's picks | Main | Weed evolution in the New York Times »

Snowden for President?

I doubt that he has the breadth of experience. But Napolitano is retiring as Homeland Security Chief. Snowden might be a good replacement. We certainly need someone willing to put reasonable limits on government surveillance, and especially on how the data they collect are used.

I hope I don't have to worry about being sent to rot in Guantanamo without trial (like the Count of Monte Cristo), but recording everything we do on the internet, and giving some unknown number of analysts access to that information, as Snowden claims in this interview, puts most of us at risk for identity theft. We need to defend ourselves from terrorists, but we also need to defend ourselves from analysts with gambling debts or expensive habits, selling our mutual-fund passwords. Or, for that matter, selling identity information Al Queda could use to get onto airplanes.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.