« Evolving-multicellularity lab exercises | Main | Dr. Who? »

MathCAD and Livescribe Desktop on a Linux Machine

I"ve finally found a version of Linux that meets most of my needs, out of the box, without a lot of fuss. Meeting "all my needs" requires the occasional use of Windows programs, either by dual-booting to Windows or running Windows in a virtual machine. Neither was very difficult; see below.

I've been using WIndows and Microsoft Office for many years, but have been finding them increasingly annoying, with "updates" that were worse than the versions they replaced -- forced on us by their use of new file formats (docx, etc.), GHz computers running slower than MHz computers used to because of all the bloatware, etc. Sticking points in earlier versions of Linux I've tried were:

* Support for two monitors on my desktop PC, one requiring rotation for portrait mode.
* Support for WiFi on my Acer Aspire One netbook.
* Support for a few Windows-only applications, notably MathCAD and Livescribe pens, which record handwritten notes in a proprietary format, which can be exported to PDF bitmap images and text or spreadsheet files, as I've discussed before.

Linux Mint handled both of these with ease.

On my desktop, I decided on a dual-boot configuration, to keep all my old XP programs, settings, and files, for now. I followed these instructions, using a $6 Linux Mint 15 MATE DVD from OSDisc.com.

Linux Mint comes with LibreOffice, which handles some things (e.g., importing from various spreadsheet file formats) better than Microsoft Office. It even imports and exports docx, which I suppose will just enable people to keep using that evil format. I'm not sure .odt is better, though. If I can't edit a document file with a plain-vanilla text editor, it's harder to process it with Python.

I also used Linux Mint's package manager to install VirtualBox, installed Windows XP within VirtualBox, and installed MathCAD (one of the few Windows programs I can't do without) on the XP virtual machine. I couldn't get the VirtualBox version of XP to use my second monitor, but if I need two monitors for a Windows program I can still boot to my old copy of XP. Within Linux Mint itself, setting up the two monitors and rotating one was easier than it had been in XP.

I used the same DVD (and an external drive) to replace the aging operating system on my Acer Aspire One with Linux Mint, encouraged by this video. Mint seems to connect to Wifi faster than Linpus did, though other operations seem slower. Mint found my video camera but not the microphone, so I may have to use an external headset for Skype or Google Hangout -- but I couldn't get either of those to work at all with the previous operating system. Mint doesn't respond to tapping the touchpad either, but the buttons work. The netbook seems to lock up more often than it did with the less-capable older version of Linux, so I may be pushing the limits of what you can do with 500 Mb of RAM.

Maybe these minor problems can be solved, but I'm really impressed by how well Mint worked out of the box on both desktop and netbook.

Getting Livescribe Desktop working was a bit of a challenge:
* Installed VMware (may be possible with VirtualBox, but maybe harder)
* Installed WindowsXP as virtual machine, from original CD.
* Installed .NET framework 2 (otherwise Livescribe Desktop installs, but won't run)
* Downloaded and installed Livescribe Desktop.

Once I did all that, it was able to upload and display pages from my Livescribe Echo smartpen, a very useful tool for lab notes, as I've discussed elsewhere.

Type the characters you see in the picture above.