Final Thoughts About Class

I will write one last entry about class. This has been one of my favorite classes of the entire semester. I enjoyed coming to class and discussing certain topics, watching videos, and peer editing papers. The good thing is is that it just wasn't the same old thing each and every day. Certain days it would be one thing, and other days we would watch a movie. It was a good change from day to day. The compositions were well spread out, and given to us in a timely fashion. The discussions were held very nicely and provided us an opportunity to voice our own opinions. We were also able to draw similarties between the texts we were to read out side of class, and the current events we heard about in the news.

That's another thing. I know we all hated printing off the weeks reading, but we need to look at the money we saved. He prevented us from buying the books. We saved a lot of money. I would recommend this class to anyone and everyone.

Videogames

I realize that I am up very early, but I couldn't really sleep to well last night. I was studying late and just never really was tired enough to go to bed. I know I talked about Halo 2 in the past, but today I would like to talk about an old game that I am just recently starting to enjoy to play. This game is Mario Golf for the Nintendo 64. I love this game. I usually go over to my buddies to play it, and we usually play eachother pretty close. It has just hard enough challenges so that it makes you want more. You want to be able to overcome and defeat it. My friend and I will literall y spend hours playing this game just to see who has bragging rights for the next few days. I know on some minds this seems very sad, but to me it is almost a way of life.

I have always enjoyed playing videogames, and it gives me a chance to get away from the other stresses of life. It takes your mind off of the last exam or quiz you took, and forces you to have fun. It is a great stress reliever but can also be very addicting. So just be careful

The Colbert Report

This is probably one of the best shows I have had the honor to watch in long time. Not only is it funny, but it makes you think. It is comes across as a type of political satire, and I am proud to say the most republicans do not realize that most of the comedic punch lines are directed towards them. It is halirous to see how Stephen Colbert portrayes a republican on the show. He comes across as one by playing to their sterotypes, and does a good job with it. One interview on his series "Better Know a District" he interviewed a congressman who wanted to post the gen comandments on the wall of the Senate and the House. The congressman wanted everyone to read them as they sat and did their work. He also thought of them as guidelines to follow while making decisions. Well, a little later in the interview the congressman was asked to name the ten comandments and was unable to give an answer. It honestly took five minutes to laugh it off, then I came to the realization that he actually couldn't repeat them. I was stunned, and applauded Mr. Colbert on calling him out.

Pre-Winter Break Preporations

I dont know if all of the freshman know this but, after we all leave the residence halls the CA's will be going around and doing room searches. They will not only be looking for alcohol, but to make sure that everyone has done the appropiate things before they leave. For example, unplugging the various cords, turning your heat on low, defrosting your freezer and general maintanance. Does anyone else think that this is an invasion of privacy. I mean who has the right to come in and check to make sure the one area that I have to myself, and by the way have paid for, is up to his or her standards. This is not something I agree with.

This is just another time consuming thing to have to do, and it is not like they give you time. According to the rules, you have to be out of the residence halls exactly one hour after your last final. How in the hell are they supposed to check that. This is a dumbass way to go about closing for winter break.

Winter Break

The first point I would like to make is that this is a much needed break. I need to be done with finals and put the stresses of school on hold for about a month. I need to see my family and friends, and catch up on old times. I need to sit down and play halo 2 with my buddies and have some good laughs. I need some of my aunties apple pie, and my moms famous oatmeal cookies. I need to visit my high school, which for the most part provided a foundation for who I am today. I need to visit old teachers, and underclassman. I need to go sledding and afterwards chill out in a hot tub.

But most of all, I need snow. Like Minnesota, much of Wisconsin is without snow. I have always known Christmas to have snow. It would be such a change. It would eliminate some of the spirit and happiness. What is the point of cold without snow. I need winter break and I need it bad. But first, I need to get through finals, and finish out the semester strong.

Finals are Finally Here

I am not going to lie to you finals honestly suck. I do not know a single person who enjoys them. They always seem to creep up on you, and when the time comes I seriously want to go hide in a freakin corner. There is just no need for them. If someone is a hard worker and do their homework, then they have earned a good grade. They only real positive aspect of finals is that they are curved and most times teachers will be gernerous. I have absolutly no modivation to study and cannot wait until they are over.

I know deep down inside that I will study. If i do not study then I personally don't feel like i did everything I could have and my winter break will suck. I am dreading it right now just thinking about them. I get very nervous. I can easily study a subject, but once the final comes I get very nervous and tense up. This enables me to remember some of the material that i previously studied. The bottom line is that I know i will be stuying this semester, but it freakin sucks.

Green Bay Packers

I know I have already written about the Green Bay Packers but, they came away with a victory today and currently stand at 5-8. Now I realize they have really no chance of making the playoffs but, I think this year is a good step on reclaiming their dominance in the NFC North and eventually the entire league. Thats right, I am predicting in 2-3 years the Packers will be back on top. They are building right now, and depending on when Rodgers takes over, they will find themselves atop the league once again. They have a lot of talent to look forward too, and only good things can come of it.

Now I know they only played the 49ers this weekend, but I did see somethings I liked. They reminded me of the Packers of old. I also understand that there will be bumps in the road, and that they Pack might not make it to .500 this year. But I like the direction that they are headed in. I am excited for next, so every fan in the NFC North, watch out for the Pack.

Mission Impossible III

Alright, this is by far the best movie I have seen all year. It has action, romance, and most of all it makes you think. In fact you will probably have to see it twice in order to pick up on things that you did not understand the first time. Tom Cruise plays an excellent undercover agent, and the villion in this movie is such a hardass. He is so quick on his feet, and nothin at all phases this guy. Not to spoil the movie, but the villion is literally hung by a thread out of a moving plane at an altitude of very high. While he is hung from this plane he still has the presents of mind to get Tom Crusies name (Ethan Hunt). This is crucial because he can now terrorize his family.

However Tom Cruise is Tome Cruise in this movie. He does an excellent job. He plays his role to prefection. Tom keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times. There isn't a point im the movie where you aren't wondering if he will survive or not. And the good part about this is that they leave you in suspense in the end so they has to be a sequal.

21 Up

I would have to say that I enjoyed this portion of the movie the most. When they are older they were able to go back and reflect on what they have said when they were seven and when they were forteen. I was surprised to see where some of them wound up. Many of these children had their lives planned out for them and had a pretty stable idea of what they wanted to do and where they wanted to go. With their lives pretty set at such young age, it was interesting to see how much they have changed mentally. A few of them wound up actually doing what they set out to do at age seven, and some didn't. The ones that didn't surprised me because after all the talking they had done, they didn't carry live up to it near the end.

Now, I am not saying that you have to live they life that you set aside for yourself at the age of seven, hell I can't even remember what I wanted to do at age seven. All I know is that i want to live a happy life, one that I enjoy and love to wake up to every morning. Doing what you love to do should be your ultimate goal, and sometimes it takes a while to figure it out, or get to where you want to be.

The Office

I just found out recently a new show called "The Office." This might not be a new show, but I haven't seen a TV show in a while because I dont have cable in my room. I must say though that this show is halirous. I like comedy a lot and another favorite show of mine is Seinfeld. "The Office" is not the same kind of funny as Seinfeld, but it still makes you laugh. It takes place in an office setting. There are accountants, salespeople and the boss. Steve Carrol plays the boss so you can only imagine how much funnier the show is.

The people in the office get along well, and it is a very laid back envrironment to say the least. For all the women out there, there is a romance between two office workers in the works. This is a great show and i recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh. This show makes me wonder way the residence halls do not have cable. Most other institutions provide cable, while we dont. It is very surprising considering that we are one of the largest universities.

Not Wanting to Study

Everyone knows that studying sucks, only a select few actually enjoy it, and that is ok. But lets face it, finals are coming up and I am looking forward to break. I want to get back home and see my friends and party like old days. I want to see my extended family over Christmas, and be able to have a month to myself. The only obstacle standing in my way are finals. They are just looming in the distance, almost laughing at you. You might fear them or you might not, hell....you might not even give a shit. But to me, I have to try my best with them.

To me if I dont try my best not only am I going against my personal philosophy, but I will not be able to face myself. I will not be able to go home over break and throughly enjoy it, knowing i tried my best. So I will definitely be studying these coming weekends, and making use of my time. Also the fear of the finals, is what drives me. It pushes me.

Do College Professors Really Enjoy Teaching?

In my opinion, especially at a research university like Minnesota, there are many teachers who dislike the idea of educating students. They are here to explore and find out new information through their research. They have no real basis for teaching. They just want to get you in and out and on your way. How are students supposed to get excited, and upbeat about learning when their professors cant even get excited about it. It is there responsibilty to teach to students and to educate them. They need to do their jobs.

I personally dont have any teachers that are like this, i guess i am lucky. The teachers i have actually enjoy teaching the young minds of tomorrow with their knowledge. There should be no question, especially in college, that the professors teaching these courses should have some enjoyment each day they step into the classroom. They should inspire kids, and some dont do that , and if they dont they should check out other job opportunity.

James Baldwin

This weeks reading on the essays of James Baldwin was different from most of the readings we have read thus far. It reminded me of racial inequalities, and what we as a nation are doing to give back to African Americans. We gave them reporations, which was a money back program in the form of a check. In my opinion this does not make up for everything that we did. Yes, it is nice to recieve money at any point and time in your life, but handing someone a check doesn't make up for 100 plus years of ridicule and discrimination. It is like we are almost trying to pay for the wrongs we have done.

Honestly, I do not know what I would do do compinsate for the way we treated them. It is a hard decision to make. But handing someone a check saying we are sorry is definetly not the way to go about apologizing.

Breaks

Whenever I come across a break in the school year, for example Thanksgiving or Christmas break, I get very excited and cannot wait to go home and see everyone. However, i also realize that at some point I must come home, and i dread when that moment comes. I know that I have to get back into the routine of school and begin my workout schedule at the rec center again. When I get back I tend to feel a little homesick, and sometimes whish I was still back in high school. I mean lets face it, I did little homework and played sports, I was basically living my dream life and I want that back.

I know now that Christmas break will now be even worse. It lasts about a month, and I am afraid that I will be in so much of my old routine, that it will be hard for me to trasition back to "college" mode. However, I will take each step in stride and am looking forward to Christmas break as is most everyone else.

Do you honestly do what you say?

Earlier this week something was brought to my attention that truly made me think, i mean really think deeply. Many people say one thing and dont really live up to it, are they being true to themselves? I applied this to myself, and found out, according to the previous statement, that i was not living up to what I said. Two of the phrases I try to lead my life by are, "No Fear," and "Only the strong survive." These two phrases came from my high school sports experiences. Besides my parents, sports have been the second largest influence in my life. Having "No Fear" means that you take risks. At one major point in my life I made a decision to come to the University of Minnesota instead of pursuing a college football career. I thought at the time that i was making a wise decision to come to Minnesota for academic purposes, and it finally came to my attetion that i missed out on playing football and Uinversity of Wisconsin LaCrosse, or other D3 schools. I didn't live up to my saying, and know I am wondering if I should pursue football next year. So next time you think of what to put on your tombstone (not the pizza), be sure you can back it up.