Promotional Piece

Emerald Homestyle makes its debut.

promotional pieceblog.jpg

View image

Numerals

Uppercase Re-Do's

I wasn't happy with the first set of these letters, so here are the improved letterforms:

uppercaseredoweb.jpg

Lowercase Letters

lowercaseweb.jpg

Uppercase + TeXtureS

This is just an idea. I wanted ruby-red glitter, but it's been a long time since I've played with Photoshop... I'm having to re-learn a lot of things.

play2.jpg

play3.jpg

Uppercase Letters

I'm technologically challenged.

letterscan.jpg

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge.

Pieces

Strokes, etc. Inspired by the Wizard of Oz. For some reason, the curling of the Wicked Witches toes became somewhat of a concept behind this design.

jpg

pieces2.jpg

Font Families to be Inspired By

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was published in 1900, and I am totally fascinated by the typeface characteristics that came out of that time. Here are some examples of font families I found that will inspire my original font face.

hertford.gif

kingedward.gif

rossantiqueroman.gif

Sketches... in progress

It's playtime. Will have this more wrapped up tomorrow evening. sketch1.jpg

Tidbits of Inspiration

I love the ruby red slippers in the story. I really think I might go with that motif, since they were her vehicle in reaching home again. There's a quote from the movie Juno that ties into this idea, I can't remember exactly how it goes, but something like this: "It always feels good to be home again after you've been somewhere really different for awhile", as she rubs some flowers on her pregnant belly. When I moved back to Minnesota/Wisconsin from Oregon, I felt the way Juno and Dorothy did. So I might steer in that direction just because it's more personal to me.

I think it would be fun to use the counter in the O's as a space for some illustration, I do like the kaleidoscope idea someone suggested in class. As life can be be some times, some things look skewed, dizzy, and unrealistic. Although I was never on acid, when I look back on my life the last two years it is like looking through a kaleidoscope. It surely was a trip.

I like the Monotype Old Style font, it was used in the book. The serifs on the font attract me most, I would like to play more with those.

Here's a link to some interesting things I found online about the Wizard of Oz storybook:

rubyred.jpg
bookcover.jpg
ChongOldstyle.gif