Recently in 1980-1989 Category

Friends

We had a very nice gathering at The Republic Bar in Minneapolis on Friday night (after the celebration in Rapson Hall).

These are the folks who joined in:

Chris Zagarias, Sue Britt, Ann Schley, Bill Wittrock, Art Bartels, Jim Wilson, Roald Gunderson, Hani Ayad (MArch, and Spouse Mary), Norman Barrientos (and spouse Lisa), Bill Blanski, Mark Brennan ('86), Mina Adsit ('86) and Steve Prater (MArch).

One main conclusion - we need to do this more often!

Be well -

Bill

Hello Class of '84,

It was great to see some of you at the Centennial reception and gala events last week and I hope to see more of you in the future.

For those of you who attended and for those who didn't, I am providing you with a link to some photos I took. I have also posted a few photos from way back in 1981 from studio days.

In Facebook I have set up a shared Album for anyone, even if you are not on Facebook, to browse through. Please feel free to tag Names onto the photos and if you want, add some photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.735254333156977.1073741839.100000172509723&type=1&l=2e4c3f3abf

Also, I am providing you with my Dropbox folder for higher quality resolutions of the same pictures. In this link I also included a few pics of the historical student drawing collection which was exhibited at the Reception. Very inspiring as they make you want to get out the old Pilot Fineliner.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos/UMN%20School%20of%20Architecture%201980

I look forward to seeing everyone at future School events.

Norman Barrientos

norman@barrientosdesign.com

office 414-271-1812 ext 1

www.barrientosdesign.com

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '80, BED '80

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Communicating with drawings.

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
George Winterowd for his love of architectural history.
University of Minnesota - M.Arch '81

Creative problem solving.

Milo Thompson and Leonard Parker for their compassionate teaching skills and the ability to find ways to motivate diverse ideas and individuals. Mark Fisher (now deceased) because he cared so much. Craig Mulford because he was the most organized student that I have ever known! Always done thoroughly and ahead of schedule...by a full day!! Bill Chilton because he brought his friendship, talent, creativity and organization to all that he did. Roger Clemence and Steve Weeks because they cared enough to allow me into the school and guide me through it!

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
One Sunday afternoon I was in studio working on thesis with a half dozen or so students. Manos Ginnis was standing at the window looking towards Northrup and said, "There is a dead man in the bushes!" (Now do this with his accent in mind.) We all were detached and indicated "Yeah, sure."  Manos was persistent, over and over we would hear, "Hey you guys, there is a dead man in the bushes!!"  We still ignored him. This went on for about 5 minutes before finally he had us all at the windows looking and we concurred...that may be a dead man lying motionless, face down in the flowers across the street. Manos cautiously went outside as we all watched and carefully crept up on the still body only to have the physical plant employee get up, pull his arm out of the sprinkler valve pipe and announce gleefully, "One more sprinkler line turned on!" I got to say, we all were secretly a bit disappointed because we liked the distraction drama of a potential corpse. So next time you see Manos say, "Hey you guys, there is a dead man in the bushes!!!"

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
Thesis and "Housing as Urban Regenerator."

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '82

Problem solving.

Having Gunter Dittmar teach us how to draw a "straight" line the first day of Grade One. Garth Rockcastle's Grade Four studio where we had to draw with rapidogragh ink on vellum.

Staying up very late, making models. 

My thesis, the Downtown Minneapolis YMCA.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
Jerry Zuber's trees and people.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
I have focused my entire career on Green Building and reducing climate change at building, organization, and community scales. My education at the School of Architecture and the people who were my advisers, including Garth, Mary Guzowski, Steve Weeks, and Julia Robinson, guided me in that direction.

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '80

Creative problem solving. 

Jerry Allan who was a 3rd year design critic.

My 2nd year Minnegasco competition for Nicollet Island Master Plan and Pine Ridge Reservation High School and Community Center, which was my thesis.

Services on many community organizations, such as Twin Cities Transit Leadership Group, Minneapolis Arts Board, St. Paul Ford Plant Planning Task Force, Minneapolis Downtown Improvement District Infrastructure Committee: Downtown 2025.

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '88

Buildings should interact with human nature and foresee new technologies and all possible needs with simplicity to maintain a timelessness.

Patricia Mack for getting me involved with the all women's built Habitat for Humanity home project in Minneapolis.

Team projects where we built models - one was the mouse trap game and another was pumpkin carving, Pink Flyod the Wall came in first that year. These were interesting because of the discussions afterwards of the process different groups used.

Airline Convention Display. There are marketable designs and interesting designs that may or may not be marketable...if you can't get the backing of the money/funding then you haven't made that external human connection that will make it architecture. Sometimes that artful design has to get out of you and onto paper but if not marketable, it just stays art...that or you're just ahead of you time and the technology might develop to make it marketable.

This one student who decided to draw one perspective a day and each day he started a fresh new one, leaving the one before it at whatever stage he had got to. Over the years his skill became masterful.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world
Educating developers on universal design and the benefits of one hundred percent accessible, instead of just the minimums, saves in the construction cost by producing in bulk. In having well designed features that are adaptable improved the desirability of the units and lessened turnover rates.

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '83

Question everything. Try to work on the most challenging projects possible. Find a passion and learn as much as possible all the time.

The men I worked with on construction sites and my engineering professors. I love architecture but the others guys made me unique in the field.

The camaraderie. We were all close like no other degree because of the process.

Energy and transport issues were a great parallel on some assignments and the Marble Mover was hilarious.

Wright, Johnson, and Hippie Naive architecture.

Architects have to lead teams. Group projects pretty much suck, but they are absolutely essential because if you can't lead and learn to lead, you will never be an architect.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '84

Hard work and speaking in public.

Lance Lavine for his gregarious, interested demeanor. 

Support of friends and colleagues.

UM Itaska State Park buildings.

Iterative nature of the process.

Education served to better represent building owners.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '79, MBA '80

Organizing ideas, project management, and understanding that careless mistakes in the details can ruin the effect of the whole project.

Kay Lockhart forced me to be organized. 

A semester of receiving a new project every Monday and submitting every Friday.

Re-imagining Hennepin Avenue.