Recently in 1990-1999 Category

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '96, B.Arch '96, M.Arch '04

Who made the most lasting impression (most influenced you) and why?
A visiting (at the time) professor, Renee Cheng, who taught a tectonics class that really opened up the way we should explore materials and techniques.

What is your favorite memory from your studio days?
Traveling through Europe in spring of 1999 with Eric, Aaron, Donovan, and Chris and eventually meeting up with Arthur Chen to participate in the Port Cities study abroad class in Lisbon, Barcelona, and Venice. A very interesting and memorable trip through some of the oldest and most varied cities in Europe.

Please identify one (or more) memorable design project that you worked on while a student at the School of Architecture.
A housing project for the Phillips Neighborhood with Arthur Chen. The studio worked with actual clients and a predetermined program of needs. It allowed us to really explore our (sometimes drastic) ideas about how to best provide community housing and to learn how to interact and respond to community relations.

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '91

What was the most important thing/skill/concept you learned at the School of Architecture?
Poche space.

Cynthia Jara made me read Norberg-Schulz. 

The Sound Machine.
University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '99
University of Michigan - M.Arch '03

Critical thinking and design organization.

Ali Heshmati.

Staying up working all night with friends and classmates. 

University of Minnesota - B.Arch '92

Thinking three dimensionally. 

During thesis, going back and forth giving crits to each other.

The music machines in the courtyard. Three days with no sleep. I've never been less literate or logical.
University of Minnesota - M.Arch '95

Design thinking and avoiding preconceptions.

First year studio with Andrzej Piotrowski.

The close friendships developed with those who maintained the same hours as I did!

Tower and Bridge project with Vincent James and Julie Snow. The final jury had significant national jurors.

What major forces (such as individual architects, design philosophies, rendering styles, research methods, etc.) do you remember influencing you significantly as a student?
In the era of deconstruction, the exhibit at the Walker Art Center of Russian Constructivism.

Cite an example (be specific) that illustrates how you used the education you received at the School of Architecture to positively impact (or better) your community, city, nation or the world.
Architecture school, studio in particular, engages many different and diverse issues. I believe that those around me see that as a significant leadership talent that, for better or for worse, puts me in the firing line for leadership roles in the community.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '93
St. Olaf - B.A. Econ '88

The design process.

Professors Steve Weeks, Lance Lavine, Harrison Fraker, Sharon Roe, Gunter Dittmar, and Denny Grebner for passion, commitment, and character. Visiting lecturers Frank Isreal, Ralph Erskine, Rem Koolhaus, and Frank Gehry for amazing work. Also my fellow students and Jean (Rehkamp) Larson, my wife and business partner, for life, kids and a dozen years in business together.

Rolling Michael Roehr's VW Bug up the front steps of the building to be used as a found object on our Mexico trip exhibition.

Sounds machine.

Using the school wood shop and scrap lumber to crank out last minute models the morning of a critique.

We designed (pro bono) two houses for the Eco Experience building at the MN State Fair seen by 250,000 people, showcasing green principles, sustainable practices, new products, and salvaged materials. Both buildings have since been reassembled and are in use as retreats in the north woods.

University of Minnesota - B.A. Arch '98, M.Arch '01

Designing with sketch models, the idea of process, deriving a whole design based on environmental considerations, tectonics, and respect of the user.

Not necessarily a single person, but I can say the whole idea of balance between design professionals teaching and the full-time professors.

Every studio was a big mess with clipboards and papers everywhere. I personally enjoyed doing sketches.

• GDS 1 MN landscape Alboretum: Pavilions
  • GDS 2 Urban Transformation at St. Paul Riverfront
  • GDS 3 Collin Row memorial design of an Urban Theatre
  • My Graduate Architecture Thesis

How to link the past with the future and "The Necessity for Ruins" written by J.B. Jackson.

The City of Allatini urban design project in '06-'07. Thessaloniki was a mediation between history and the present, not simply a work of restoring, but an approach of bringing the past into a dialogue with the present and the future. A long-lasting struggle in my career ever since my thesis in the School of Architecture.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '90

Critical thinking.

Gunter Dittmar who taught a graduate level architecture theory and criticism class. He taught me to look at space and design from intangible angles.

Friends helping me complete the model for my thesis presentation.

My thesis project, Dwelling as Part of a Larger Order.

Michael Graves, Louis Kahn, and Tadao Ando.

Not sure that my education shapes how I view the world. It's my faith/religious belief that has more to do with how I invest in things that can bring positive impact to the world.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '97

Problem solving is the most important by far, along with presentation skills, composition, and design. Overall the process for a project was very important- gathering information, discussing the needs and issues for the project, exploring possible solutions, evaluating the feasibility of solutions, finalizing design and presenting the final product.

My favorite studios were with Lee Tollifson and Janis Ladouceur. Lee had such a great planning process for us and our two quarter studio. Janis pushed me and challenged me the most to find design alternatives. Both were later thesis advisers and were always very connected with my projects. I also liked Bill Morish's urban design class which was great for diagramming the site issues and forces.

Our projects that got us to work as a group were great. Rather than hide away and do your own project, we actually collaborated and did better than any of us could have done alone. And then there were the squirrels living in the studio with us. They were crazy- most had lost half their hair from eating pipe and duct insulation. Sometimes you would find one living in your architectural models.

It was great to work on the Alumni Center for the University years before Predock did the project. We studied all the gateways into campus and worked out the program details for the center. It was interesting to see the final project on the site after evaluating ten other projects that were proposed on that very same site.

I was in the School of Architecture just as everything switched from paper to CAD. It was incredible to experiment on Photoshop at school and bring those skills to the office I worked at through school. We had a couple 3D programs, but they were so boxy and flat. Those experiments and early programs transformed the design and presentations over the past two decades to the 3D, photo-realistic designs of today.

I have worked with numerous non-profits and community groups with architectural and space needs projects. I also advocate for sustainable living and design with local community and youth groups.

University of Minnesota - M.Arch '96

Practicality. It helped me focus my theoretical background from my undergraduate at Washington University into a balance of theory and applied practice for a well rounded approach.

Lee Anderson was pioneering the computer lab - a new concept for the time. That studio with Todd Rhoades and my classmates are what stand out for me. I was also very impressed with Jeff Scherer's Professional Practice course at the time, and thought he really must be the anchor of his firm. After working there I realized he was also deeply artistic - a great blend. It was Gary Johnson's studio that connected me to Wold and my eventual career path as a partner in the firm.

Late nights in the computer studio with the door shut (for security) allowed us to have a very loud stereo and play whatever we wanted. It made the long nights much more bearable.

I really loved working on my thesis - a post graduate arts center in the former Grain Belt complex. I really received great mentoring from my advisors Lee Anderson, Tim Fuller, Garth Rockcastle. It is also great to now see the complex in use by RSP, as well as to see St. Paul moving forward on a similar concept for the former Hamms complex.

I was very influenced by both deconstruction and the architects practicing "High Tech" architecture. I really thought Coop Himmelblau did wonderful work and I especially liked Wolf Prix's lecture on Architecture according to the Rolling Stones.

I really feel that Gary Johnson's studio on educational design formed the foundations I have today for positive change within the schools. I try to practice it daily in the work we do.