Spunk Design Machine presents research findings for college's new visual identity

Close to 100 College of Design students, faculty, and staff viewed on March 3 "mood boards" that visually express general design directions for the college's new visual identity.

Jeff Johnson, owner and creative director of Spunk Design Machine of Minneapolis, said research conducted by his firm indicates that the college's niche is students who, rather than wanting to be design "rock stars," are motivated to seek out problems to solve in order to make the world a better place.

Johnson presented a design vision where "simplicity is our ally," combined with the use of compelling stories of the people and activities that make up the college.

As I mentioned at the 'mood board' presentation, I thought that most of the schools' images/designs that were used for comparison and inspiration weren't from our true competitors. I have created a quick-n-dirty board (http://faculty.che.umn.edu/dha/smccarthy/true-competitive-audit.pdf) with screen grabs of colleges/schools of design at large research universities -- these represent some of the institutional peers we should look at.