Amin illustrates award-winning children's book

heba-amin.jpgMFA graduate student Heba Amin (Interaction Design) provided all of the illustrations for Extraordinary Women from the Muslim World, a book that has recently won two awards.

Extraordinary Women from the Muslim World has won a USA Book News National Best Books 2008 Award in the Religion: Islam category.

The book also won the Moonbeam Peacemaker Award, established to honor the best children's book for promoting world peace and human tolerance in memory of Mattie J.T. Stepanek (1990-2004), whose poetry and messages of hope and peace have inspired millions of people around the world. The Moonbeam Children's Book Awards are designed to honor the best children’s books, authors and illustrators, and to support childhood literacy and life-long reading.

Image note: Al-Khansa, 20in. x 16in., oil and mixed media on canvas.

I have tried differently styled and illustrated books with my own children. I love art and feel that many books offer many qualities to children including the love for art(illustration). Our favorite book so far is A Day With My Dad by Lance Waite.

Read Jeff Strickler's article "Putting a Face on Role Models" in the Star Tribune about this book: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/faith/42002517.html?page=1&c=y