Being an ally in the work of diversity workshop offered

The University's Office for Equity and Diversity is hosting a workshop, "Being an ally in the work of diversity," Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 3:00-4:30 p.m., in 101 Walter Library.

"Institutional efforts to eliminate bias and discrimination are often driven by individuals who themselves face such discrimination. But as understanding and promoting diversity becomes the necessary work of all members of a given institutional community, questions arise: 'How do I fit in to diveristy work if I haven't faced such discrimination personally?' 'Is there room for someone with economic, social, and political privilege in diversity efforts?' 'How can I work on diversity issues when I'm not an 'expert'?' This workshop is designed to address both the challenges and the benefits that allies bring to the work of diversity."

The workshop is free of charge and led by Anne Phibs, the GLBT Programs Office director. More information and registration is available on the Office for Equity and Diversity Web site.