Monday Minute, July 27, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I want to thank all who gave us feedback in response to the virtual presentation I made before the July 4 holiday. Some of you found the UMConnect technology and the presentation itself lacking, and I fully understand. I would have preferred to convey such information in person, but we didn't know the details of our budget until after the end of academic year and I thought it better that you know about the cuts now than wait until the all-college meeting at the beginning of the fall semester. I look forward to a fuller discussion of our options and opportunities with you then.

Your responses, along with those we received from you in the spring, also informed the discussion we had today with the team from Central appointed by the provost to work with us on our financial situation. We need the provost's approval in some areas -- whether or not we can enroll more freshmen, for example -- and we hope to have his decision about such matters before we start our discussions in the college in the fall. Until then, we'll do what we can to keep you informed as we know more, keeping in mind Yogi Berra's observation that, "If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."

Tom