DHA 2351: Context-sensitive design strategies project

Daniel Jasper's (Graphic Design) DHA 2351 class, Graphic Design I Text and Image, is undertaking a project to create context-sensitive design strategies for communicating about the H1N1 pandemic. Small groups of three students each develop public health messages and then determine which medium to use to carry the message: banners, posters, flyers, stickers, stencils, brochures, etc. The students then develop an implementation strategy for the message. The first results are beginning to appear throughout McNeal Hall.

The University's primary communication channel regarding the H1N1 virus has been broadcast e-mail with links to the University's Emergency Preparedness Web site. Jasper maintains that information, while "helpful and thorough in both breadth and depth is essentially trapped in both time and place in whatever electronic device you happen to be viewing it on at the moment." What if context-sensitive communications about the virus and preventing its spread were available in addition. "What if we
could alert the viewer to nodes of virus transmission as they encounter them?" asks Jasper. "What if we could communicate preventative measures for virus transmission in the areas where they might occur?"

DHA 2351 class, Graphic Design I Text and Image, context-sensitive design strategies for communicating about the H1N1 pandemic

The large-format communications solutions shown here are effective. Not shown, but just as effective, are small-format implementations like "Get H1N1 here" stickers attached to door handles.

Ed. note: Additional photographs added 9/28/09, including small-format implementations.

Photo credit: Daniel Jasper.