Monday Minute, November 16, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

You may have heard me talk about the dean's discretionary fund bequeathed by Ann Salovich, but I wanted to give you a sense of how we plan to apportion the money this year.

First, to attract exceptional students, we have set aside funds for student scholarships where there exists the greatest need. Second, to support our outstanding faculty and staff, we have established a pool of money for staff development, and we have given pro-rated amounts to the three department heads for their use in faculty development.

Third, to enhance innovation, we have restarted the Design Institute (DI). To that end, I am pleased to announce the appointment of Brad Hokanson (Graphic Design) as the new director of the DI. He has great ideas, evident in his conversations with many of us about what the DI could be, and I want to thank him for his willingness to lead our efforts in this area.

Finally, to help move our organization forward, we have set aside money to seed ideas from faculty and staff that have the greatest promise to generate new revenue and advance our mission in new ways. If you have ideas, please contact Kate Solomonson if a faculty member, Marilyn DeLong if a member of an R&O unit, Kathy Witherow if a staff member, or Kate Maple if it pertains to students. We will gather your ideas over the next several weeks and start planting seeds.

Tom